RE: w3wp.exe unable to start properly and mail delivery very slow

Hi David,

Thanks for updates.

I will be here waiting for your updates, please feel free to post back. I
am glad to be of assistance.

If this is the urgency issue, please call CSS, it might be the quickly for
your issue. You can refer to information below:

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRC4=?=" <DavidD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Subject: RE: w3wp.exe unable to start properly and mail delivery very slow
| Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:34:59 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
|
| Thanks for all the information! I decided to try several things at once
| because this has been a problem for a while now, and users are getting
| frustrated. I was not able to make a 8192mb swap file. The largest file
| could make on the data drive was 4096mb. I increased the swap file on
the OS
| drive to 2048mb, so the total swap file space available is 6144mb.
|
| Also, I disabled Symantec antivirus for Exchange on the server, just to
| eliminate that as a factor. It did not seem to make a difference.
|
| I will post a response here with the results of the changes I made.
|
| Thanks for your help!
|
| Best regards,
| david
|
| ""Charles Yang [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > HI David,
| >
| > Welcome to SBS newsgroup.
| >
| > Issue description:
| > ===============
| >
| > I understand that you encountered problem when sending internet emails
and
| > your internal website is not worked correctly.
| >
| > Analyzing and suggestions:
| > ================
| >
| > Generally speaking, this issue should be caused by many factors, in
order
| > to clarify the issue, please help perform the tests and gather
information:

| > 1. Please rerun CEICW, this wizard will help you configure your SBS
network
| > and email setting correctly. Please make sure that you need to point
SBS
| > internal NIC as the DNS server on both client computer and SBS server.
Do
| > not add any additional DNS on the TCP/IP properties on client computer.
You
| > need configure the ISP' DNS as DNS forward server. In the email
setting,
| > use either DNS or smarthost to route emails. You need to ask your ISP
help
| > you create a MX records for your SBS exchange. You can refer to KB
article
| > below for detailed instruction:
| >
| > 825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business
Server
| > 2003
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763
| >
| > 2. w3wp.exe is file required for IIS, the issue mostly relate IIS is
not
| > configured correctly, you can check it after you rerun CEICW to see if
the
| > error message still exist on application log.
| >
| > As I know, W3wp.exe is a IIS process, that may explain why the web
| > interface of Symantec Security for Exchange cannot be loaded. Although
this
| > issue may be Exchange Related, I suggest us do the following to see if
| > there is an update:
| >
| > One: Add the HeapDecommitFreeBlockThreshold key
| >
| > 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
| > 2. Locate and click the following key in the registry:
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
| > 3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
registry
| > value:
| > Value name: HeapDecommitFreeBlockThreshold
| > Data type: REG_DWORD
| > Value Data: 0 (Hex)
| >
| > Two: Restart Exchange Server
| >
| > Then please check if there is an update.
| >
| > Three: Go to Virtual Memory page (Open System Properties\Advanced tab,
| > click Settings under Performance, select Advanced tab click Change)
| > Type 8192 in "Maximum Size" line. Click OK. Restart computer and check
| > again.
| >
| > Four: Remove the /3GB and /USERVA switch in boot.ini file. Restart
computer
| > and check if the Symantec web page can be opened.
| >
| > Also, when open Performance monitor when the "/3GB and /USERVA" exists
in
| > the boot.ini file, do the following:
| >
| > A. Go to Performance Logs and Alerts, right click "Counter Logs",
select
| > "New Log Settings" , type a name, click OK.
| > B. Click "Add Counters" button, select Memory in Performance Objects,
| > select Page/Sec in "Select counters from list" and click OK. Select
"Page
| > Fault/Sec" in the list again. Click OK.
| > C. If the new log file is not started, click the start button on the
menu.
| > (It will turn to Green if the log is started).
| > D. Monitor for about one hour. During this time, repro the issue.
| > E. Email me the log file. By default, it exist in %systemroot%\perflogs
| > folder.
| > 3. If the issue still exists, please help check the event view to see
if
| > there are any warning or error messages, you can paste them to
newsgroup,
| > if possible you could also send the event log files to my mailbox.
| > (v-chayan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx).
| >
| > I appreciate your effort on this issue; please post back your results.
I am
| > glad to be of further assistance.
| >

| > Best regards,
| >
| > Charles Yang (MSFT)
| >
| > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

| > ======================================================
| > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues
| > regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the
corresponding
| > newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely
manner.
| > You can locate the newsgroup here:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
| >
| > When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check
the
| > "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there
are
| > any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your
newsreader,
| > please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
| > issue.
| >
| > Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
| > provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
| > different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
doing
| > so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >
| > For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please
| > check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
| >
| > Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
| > ======================================================
rights.

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================

rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRC4=?=" <DavidD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| > | Subject: w3wp.exe unable to start properly and mail delivery very slow
| > | Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 07:30:13 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| > |
| > | Hi all,
| > |
| > | Server: I have a Windows SBS 2003 with SP1 for Windows and SP1 for
| > Exchange.
| > | The server is a dual 1ghz with 2gb of physical ram, and a 40gb hard
| > drive
| > | partitioned into an OS drive (7.3 gb) and data drive (everything
else).
| > | There is a 4gb swap file on the data drive, and a 256mb swap file on
the
| > OS
| > | drive (just for good measure). The server has about 20 active users
on
| > it,
| > | with their documents and email (the Exchange store) being stored on
the
| > | server's data drive.
| > |
| > | Problem 1: Internet email delivery to and from this server began
getting
| > | extremely slow. Mail sent from this server would often take 7 days
to be
| > | received on other email servers. Internal email seems to be the
regular
| > | super fast speed.
| > |
| > | Solution 1: Perusing Google led me to the Exchange best practices
tool
| > | provided by Microsoft. This tool suggested a couple of extra
switches in
| > the
| > | boot.ini file as well as un-compressing the Exchange database files
(the
| > data
| > | drive on the server uses the standard Windows file compression). I
did
| > both
| > | of these things and the email delivery seemed to improve dramatically.
| > |
| > | Problem 2: At some point in this process, it was noticed the web site
| > hosted
| > | on this same server wasn't working. Nor was Outlook Web Access. We
are
| > not
| > | sure exactly at one point this started happening - if it was before
or
| > after
| > | I did solution #1. Rebooting the server fixes the problem but only
for
| > | very short while. I noted the following error in the application
event
| > log:
| > |
| > | -------------------------
| > | COM+ has determined that your machine is running very low on
available
| > | memory. In order to ensure proper system behavior, the activation of
the
| > | component has been refused. If this problem continues, either
install
| > more
| > | memory or increase the size of your paging file. Memory statistics
are:
| > | dwMemoryLoad = 65
| > | ullTotalPhys = 0x07ff7e000
| > | ullAvailPhys = 0x02c388000
| > | ullTotalPageFile = 0x17b0a1000
| > | ullAvailPageFile = 0x010c9b000
| > | ullTotalVirtual = 0x0bd7e0000
| > | ullAvailVirtual = 0x0b94ef000
| > |
| > | Process Name: w3wp.exe
| > | Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4720.1830 shp
| > | -------------------------
| > |
| > | So it appeared to me that the w3wp.exe process, which is required to
run
| > any
| > | web services, wasn't being allowed to run. I can't imagine how this
| > server,
| > | with 2gb of physical memory and more than 4gb of swap file space,
could
| > NOT
| > | have enough memory to run this process. Task manager does not show
me
| > any
| > | single process as consuming more than 64 megabytes of memory while
this
| > | problem is occuring, although I have witnessed the store.exe process
| > being as
| > | high as 600mb. Still, there should be oodles of RAM left.
| > |
| > | Solution #2: I un-did the boot.ini file change above, which had no
| > affect.
| > | The web services would operate briefly after the machine boots up,
but
| > then
| > | fail again with the above message in the application event log. I
| > installed
| > | every service pack I could find for this server. No affect.
| > |
| > | Problem #3: Email sending from this machine is once again extremely
slow.
| > |
| > | Solution #3: Throw server out window.
| > |
| > | Anyone have any suggestions? I have searched high and low on the
Internet
| > | for something similar to this problem but can't find anything.
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance!
| > | Best regards,
| > | david d.
| > |

  • Re: Slow internet connection with SBS 2003
    ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... turn off EDNS0 support in Windows Server ... >any updates in your thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Email enable doc lib
    ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... navigate to the public folder and send some posts with attachments to the ... I have disabled forms base Athentication from the default V.Smtp server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant logon from workstation as Administrator
    ... server box and let me know if there is any problem related to the issue. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... be able to logon using ANY accounts from that workstation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Nagging Autorization issue for Companyweb after ISA04 install
    ... Check the companyweb CNAME entry in the DNS Server. ... Does the situation occur when you access companyweb from the ISA ... > 'Microsoft Firewall' service. ... > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Email enable doc lib
    ... server to test the issue. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... Please try to logon Public folder list using URL: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)