Re: Need some (lots) of help on SBS 2003

From: Newby (newby_at_sorrynoway.com)
Date: 02/17/05

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:41:40 -0000

http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=80

http://www.smallbizserver.net a lot of useful info here

"Dog Bowl" <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c7f1efc7268699989748@news.cable.ntlworld.com...
I've got one of those bowel moving moments on SBS 2003. The previous
admin guy passed away and the guy who runs the company has asked me to
give him a hand workign out what the company has. Its a small company
with 3 PCs connected to an SBS 2003 server. Its the standard not premium
edition.

What the problem is, is that the server is being abused by everyone and
his dog for forwarding spam. Now as a measure until tomorrow I have
turned off the SMTP service at least to get a bit of head room. Their
ISP provides email via POP.blahdeblah.com & SMTP.blahdeblah.com. At the
moment its using an SMTP connector which is doing DNS look up.

What I want to do is either a) change the exchange server to use the
POP. & SMTP. accounts on the ISP, then use exchange as a store for the
emails to keep them safe for backups or failing that lock down the SMTP
service tighter than a cammel's bottom in a sand storm :-)

Although I'm not a total newbie to server admin, I'm not *that* far from
that when it comes to server email type things :-)

What I really need to know is, can I just shove in a firewall and block
external connections. Presumably I would have to leave port 25 open
which would defeat the point?

I thought I could just do:

 Client
  PC <-----> Server.mycompany <-------->ISP POP & SMTP

Then I would need some way of passing the client usernames and passwords
via Server.mycompany (Set up in active directory?) to the ISP. I presume
to do this I need to set up exchange connectors too. Is it anything to
do with smart hosts. Other than "there are smart hosts" there doesn't
seem to be too much help on the web. Coupled with possibly the worst
call center I have ever had to deal with [1] I'm getting a tad stressed.

At the moment the company has been without email for a week and things
are not looking good. I don't think they can afford a 100 an hour
consultant as a day would be 1/2 a year's profit.

Sorry if this is all a bit vague but I'm developing bald patches from
this. Its even worse because I'm sure its all so simple. It doesn't help
I think that I'm fighting terminology and understanding SMTP at the same
time.

If anyone can direct me to some good sources on info on this that would
be great. Doing a google search for SMPT and Exchange just gives up
basic info on set up and not too much on locking it all down or going
via an ISP email facility.

[1] To get the username and password for the management account they
said do to "www.blahdebla.com/broadband". I said its giving me a 404
page not found, he then said "Enter your password and username". So I
had to tell him thats what I was after. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH. OK its not
BlahdeBla but its supposed to be a reputable ISP :-|

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outgoing mail via multiple smart hosts?
    ... to email server at your ISP". ... Then enter the IP address or SMTP FQDN ... How to Configure Exchange Server 2003 to Use a Smart Host IP Address ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Need some (lots) of help on SBS 2003
    ... with 3 PCs connected to an SBS 2003 server. ... turned off the SMTP service at least to get a bit of head room. ... ISP provides email via POP.blahdeblah.com & SMTP.blahdeblah.com. ... What I want to do is either a) change the exchange server to use the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need to route internal email to SBS user to external mailbox
    ... Send via smarthost and authenticate to your ISP mail ... > has gone to authenticated SMTP to cut down on spammers trying to connect. ... > to connect to the FQDN of the ISP's SMTP server? ... >> In Exchange System Manager, drill down to your Default SMTP Virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • [NT] Vulnerability in Exchange Server Could Allow Arbitrary Code Execution (MS03-046)
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... In Exchange Server 5.5, a security vulnerability exists in the Internet ... an unauthenticated attacker to connect to the SMTP port on an Exchange ...
    (Securiteam)
  • RE: SMTP error (only from Outlook)
    ... This issue appeared on specify user or all SMTP clients? ... If yes, in Exchange System ... Is there any local bridgehead server listed in "Local ... to over three dozen open relay block lists. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)