Re: Setting SBS2003 as NTP Time Server

From: Marina Roos [SBS-MVP] (marina_at_roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com)
Date: 02/01/05

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:28:20 +0100

Hi Jonathan and Steve,

Smallbizserver.Net > SBS 2003 > Server issues > How to fix time
synchronization errors:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=156

On the clients from the commandline:
net time /setsntp:servername
w32tm -once -v (for W2k)
w32tm /resync /nowait (for XP)

--
Regards,
Marina
> Steve,
>
> I don't want to immediately jump on the "me too" bandwagon, however, I
have
> the exact same issue as yourself (aside from the clients, they are XP, SP2
> and W2K, SP4).  I have followed the same steps as you have and have
arrived
> at the same conclusion.  We can't get synced.  Lots of W32Time errors.
>
> I'm hoping someone can come up with an answer to this issue.
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > I have read many submissions about performance issues because of time
> > synchronisation, but have problems trying to configure my SBS2003 Std
Server.

> > My clients (all xp/sp2) are not synching with the server, time service
on
> > problem computers are set to automatic but are not running.
> >
> > Everything that I try fails. Knowledge base articles lead to dead ends.
> >
> > When I enter the "net time" command, it can not find the server.
> >
> > When I enter the "net  time /setsntp:" to any of the published time
servers,
> > it says ok, but the "net time" command fails afterwards, can not find
the
> > time server.
> >
> > I want to ensure that the sbs2003 is synching with a time server, and
want
> > to know that all clients are synching with the sbs2003 server. Is there
> > simple way of doing this, then verifying that all is working, monitoring
that
> > the services are running on connected clients? Group Policy?
> >
> > Right now, it just looks like there are no functional time servers out
> > there, and that internal synchronisation is totally turned off.....

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Domain Time Syncing
    ... is the Windows Time Service started on the server that the clients ... Open a Command Prompt. ... Specifies the number of time samples that will be returned from the target ...
  • Re: Event ID 1089 & 1090 Userenv
    ... If you run "net time /querysntp" at the command line of the DC does it ... 314054 How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows XP ... > The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: accessing certain websites, strange behaviour
    ... Did you have to install any software on the server for PPPoE or PPPoA? ... > All users on all clients experience strange web behaviour. ... > second disk and run the enableedns command, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2 security issues regarding terminal services
    ... in regard to your 1st answer -- so basically i cant stop clients from ... how and where do i need to put the command, if u have any knowledge base ... i dont want my clients to copy data from the teminal server to ... command, and/or remote reboot devices. ...
  • Re: Server disconnects all clients daily at around 6pm
    ... the net time /setsntp:server03 ... sending resync command to local computer ... >> problem on the XP clients, the windows 2000 clients and Linux clients do ... >> Using the net time /querysntp both the clients and server are set to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)