Re: SBS on Virtual PC?

From: attila (gcsokai-nospam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/25/04

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:26:01 -0400

Thanks for all the tips!
Attila
"David Copeland [MSFT]" <davidcop@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:e1s4CGMuEHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>

>> Q. Are virtual machine created with Virtual PC compatible with
> Virtual
>> Server and vice versa?
>>
>> A. Yes, virtual machines with either product are compatible, but
> when
>> using Virtual Server and Virtual PC together, there are several points to
>> consider:
>>
>> . Sound cards: Virtual Server does not include an emulated
> sound
>> card in its virtual machines, while Virtual PC does. If you will be using
>> virtual machine on both Virtual Server and Virtual PC, you should disable
>> the emulated sound card in Virtual PC. This will prevent the sound card's
>> Plug and Play capability from causing errors on the virtual machine that
> you
>> created with Virtual Server.
>>
>> . SCSI support: Virtual Server provides SCSI support while
>> Virtual PC does not. If you create a virtual machine with virtual SCSI
> disks
>> on Virtual Server, the SCSI disks will be ignored if you move the virtual
>> machine to Virtual PC. This can lead to negative consequences in many
>> situations, for example if the virtual machine page file is on the SCSI
> disk
>> or if you are trying to use a SCSI disk as the startup disk. If you plan
>> regularly move virtual hard disks between machines created with Virtual
>> PC
>> and Virtual Server, we recommend that you attach the virtual hard disks
> only
>> to a virtual IDE bus in Virtual Server.
>>
>> . Saved States: Saved-state (.vsv) files between Virtual PC
> and
>> Virtual Server are incompatible. When moving a virtual machine between
>> products, be sure to completely shutdown the guest operating system.
>>
>> . CD-ROM drives: Although Virtual Server allows for virtual
>> machines with multiple CD-ROM drives, Virtual PC supports virtual
>> machines
>> with only one CD-ROM drive. If you are moving virtual machines between
>> the
>> two products, you should configure only a single CD-ROM drive on the
> virtual
>> machine and attach it to secondary channel 0, which is the default
> setting.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>> David Copeland
>> Microsoft Small Business Server Support

> rights.
>>

>> SBS Newsgroups:
>>
>> SBS v4.x: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
>> SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
>> SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>>
>> "SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <not@your.nellie> wrote in message
>> > the possibilities are numerous if not infinite.
>> >
>> > In my scenario you would also create a VPC client machine for your
> tests.
>> > The VPC client would have a single NIC 'local only' to talk to the SBS

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SBS on Virtual PC?
    ... Virtual Server 2005 Evaluation Kit ... SBS v4.x: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000 SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs ... it sure comes in handy sometimes to be able to simply turn> off the virtual machine and selecting the option to discard the changes.. ... If you create a virtual machine with virtual SCSI disks> on Virtual Server, the SCSI disks will be ignored if you move the virtual> machine to Virtual PC. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS on Virtual PC?
    ... > Virtual Server 2005 Evaluation Kit ... > SBS Newsgroups: ... >> off the virtual machine and selecting the option to discard the changes.. ... the SCSI disks will be ignored if you move the virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: experience with Virtual Server 2005 R2 on a SBS 2003
    ... I have 2 production SBS networks that make use of vitualization; ... 2gb ram reserved for the host, ... dedicated disks for the virtual machine. ... Did anybody have a problem with running a Virtual Server 2005 on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Virtual Server 2005 turns off the VS
    ... I've been using Virtual Server 2005 for about 4 weeks now. ... 8:06:48 PM Virtual Machine "CLAS0DV03" was reset. ... restart the computer, then fails. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
  • Re: How to install Virtual Server 2005 on SBS2003
    ... whitepaper) from my SBS bacuse of lot of troubles that I ended up with. ... After the install It worked fine and I could susccesfully create a VM. ... I whent thru known recent system changes and backtracked to Virtual server. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)