Re: SBS on Virtual PC?

From: David Copeland [MSFT] (davidcop_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/23/04

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:36:33 -0500

Just realized I forgot.. in case you've not seen it..

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Service Pack 1
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/downloads/sp1.mspx

Other related links

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Free 45-Day Trial Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=360cafd6-5098-4c64-9ca7-a30f225859f6&DisplayLang=en

Microsoft Virtual Server 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx

Virtual Server 2005 Evaluation Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

--
Hope that helps,
David Copeland

http://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/WebCastEventDetails.aspx?EventID=1032259266&Culture=en-US

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversysem/virtualserver/evaluation/virtualizationfaq.mspx

>       Q. Does Virtual Server 2005 support non-Microsoft operating systems
as
> guests?
>
>       A. Although Virtual Server 2005 can run virtually all major
x86-based
> server operating environments, Microsoft Product Support Services supports
> only the following guest operating systems using Virtual Server 2005:
>
>             . Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>
>             . Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>
>             . Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>
>             . Windows Small Business Server 2003, Standard Edition
>
>             . Windows Small Business Server 2003, Premium Edition
>
>             . Windows 2000 Server
>
>             . Windows 2000 Advanced Server
>
>             . Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 6a
>

>       Q. Are virtual machine created with Virtual PC compatible with
Virtual
> [...]
>
>             . SCSI support: Virtual Server provides SCSI support while
> Virtual PC does not. If you create a virtual machine with virtual SCSI
disks
> on Virtual Server, the SCSI disks will be ignored if you move the virtual
> machine to Virtual PC. This can lead to negative consequences in many
> situations, for example if the virtual machine page file is on the SCSI
disk
> or if you are trying to use a SCSI disk as the startup disk. If you plan
> regularly move virtual hard disks between machines created with Virtual PC
> and Virtual Server, we recommend that you attach the virtual hard disks
only
> to a virtual IDE bus in Virtual Server.
>
>             . Saved States: Saved-state (.vsv) files between Virtual PC
and
> Virtual Server are incompatible. When moving a virtual machine between
> products, be sure to completely shutdown the guest operating system.
>
>             . CD-ROM drives: Although Virtual Server allows for virtual
> machines with multiple CD-ROM drives, Virtual PC supports virtual machines
> with only one CD-ROM drive. If you are moving virtual machines between the
> two products, you should configure only a single CD-ROM drive on the
virtual
> machine and attach it to secondary channel 0, which is the default
setting.

> --
>
> Hope that helps,
> David Copeland
> Microsoft Small Business Server Support

rights.

> SBS Newsgroups:
>
> SBS v4.x: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
> SBS 2000: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
> SBS 2003: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>
> "SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <not@your.nellie> wrote in message
> > the possibilities are numerous if not infinite.
> >
> > In my scenario you would also create a VPC client machine for your
tests.
> > The VPC client would have a single NIC 'local only' to talk to the SBS
> VPC.
> >
> > "Attila" <$acsokai$@nosmap.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
> > > Thanks that is kind of tip I am looking for. What confuses me though
is
> > > that if I install it on a worksation that is really connected to my
> > > production SBS, then how do replicate the configuration of the ISA on
> the
> > > virtual PC running SBS? I am just trying to visualize it. The way I
see
> it
> > > is that the real NIC would be the "outside NIC" on the Virtual PC SBS
> and
> > > the the second NIC could be its Inside one. So then I could hookup a
> > > switch to the second VPN NIC? and another worksation to that to
> replicate
> > > a real enviornment.
> > >
> > > Isn't just easier to buy a cheap Dell PowerEdge SC if the money can be

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SBS on Virtual PC?
    ... > Virtual Server 2005 Evaluation Kit ... > SBS Newsgroups: ... >> off the virtual machine and selecting the option to discard the changes.. ... the SCSI disks will be ignored if you move the virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS on Virtual PC?
    ... > Virtual Server 2005 Evaluation Kit ... > SBS Newsgroups: ... >> off the virtual machine and selecting the option to discard the changes.. ... the SCSI disks will be ignored if you move the virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: experience with Virtual Server 2005 R2 on a SBS 2003
    ... I have 2 production SBS networks that make use of vitualization; ... 2gb ram reserved for the host, ... dedicated disks for the virtual machine. ... Did anybody have a problem with running a Virtual Server 2005 on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Virtual Server 2005 turns off the VS
    ... I've been using Virtual Server 2005 for about 4 weeks now. ... 8:06:48 PM Virtual Machine "CLAS0DV03" was reset. ... restart the computer, then fails. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
  • Re: How to install Virtual Server 2005 on SBS2003
    ... whitepaper) from my SBS bacuse of lot of troubles that I ended up with. ... After the install It worked fine and I could susccesfully create a VM. ... I whent thru known recent system changes and backtracked to Virtual server. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)