Re: its it possible to use SMTP on this basis

From: Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP] (kweilbacMVP_at_gte.net)
Date: 09/05/04

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:49:42 -0400

having a dynamic IP address does not stop you from using SMTP to bring in
mail. I've been on a Verizon DSL (dynamic IP) connection for several eyars
with my SBS system. The solution is simply to sign up with a dynamic DNS
company that will handle it for you. There are both free ones and paid ones.
I happen to use TZO, but there are others lijke DynDNS and others.

Simply put, they provide two things - a URL for your use (like:
david.tzo.com) to use with your MX record, and a piece of software that runs
on your server or workstation. This piece of software does nothing but sit
there an monitor your IP address. If or when it changes, it then sends a
message to update yout dacid.tzo.com to point to the new IP address.

Works really well.

The paid for companies happen to offer add'l features, like storing your
email if your server is ever down, and then forwarding it to you when you
come back up.

--
Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]
"The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"