Re: SBS 2003 Win XP/2000 Pro Clients TCP/IP Problems

From: John Harris (johnh_at_antispam.comptroub.co.nz)
Date: 08/05/04

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:50:54 +1200

Hi Steve,
Don't know if I can help you (and probably telling you to suck eggs) but
there's only a couple of suggestions/observations I can make.

1. NIC's shouldn't get hot the way you say it is, try swapping this out
(maybe a 100Mb card until things are working).
2. I presume you have removed the NT4 PDC (and BDC if present) from the
network and no DHCP services provided by any machines still on the network.
3. Check all machines for DNS entries. They should only be using DHCP
provided DNS settings.
4. Check IP settings on XP machines including Advanced settings.
5. Disconnect all machines from any domain and set their settings to a
workgroup before putting them back on the network.

It really sounds like a IP Address conflict the way the server stops
responding but who knows these days?

--
John Harris (Harry)
Computer Troubleshooters - Hornby