Re: Accessing server in DMZ

From: Darren Woodford (darrenw_at_nospamme.woodfordcomputers.co.uk)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:51:25 +0100

I do not know how to prevent the authentication issue but if it needs to be
publically accessed from the internet then I would not have it as part of
your domain. A compromise of the web server (only a matter of time) will
then expose your entire domain. Not nice. I wouldn't consider this as a
workaround unless internet users are using VPN to access the web server.

This might be a silly question but do the LAN users need to connect to the
web sites on the web server or other resources/applications? From the
information so far I would guess at an IIS configuration issue which is
where I get out of my depth I'm afraid.
Have you tried accessing it from the internet yet? I would try putting a
workstation in the DMZ and seeing if that can connect to the web server to
try and narrow down the problem.
Hope you get it resolved.
Regards
Darren

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> Users from the internet - are these domain users accessing remotely ? Or
> does it host a public web site that unauthenticated users can access?
>
> If they're domain users, then you're probably best bringing this into the
> lan and making it a member server.
>
> Even better, could you fully explain what it is you need to accomplish ? I
> think there are others here who will be able to assist you much more
> efficiently than I can, but I think a better understanding of the
objectives
> would be required.
>
> --
> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> -------------------------------------
> SBS Rocks !
>

> "TRD" <tdejohnx2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No it is accessed from users on the internet and users on the LAN.
> >
> > "Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hi TRD,
> > >
> > > So is this webserver intended to be publicly accessible ? I mean by
> > > unauthenticated users from the internet side? It seems not, and if
> that's
> > > the case then why not make it a member server (inside the lan)? It can
> > still
> > > be reached from the internet this way, but only by authenticated
users.

> > > --
> > > Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> > > -------------------------------------
> > > SBS Rocks !
> > >

> > > "TRD" <tdejohnx2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > seperate
> are
> > > on.

> > > first
> > party
> > its
> asks

> > your
> > the

> > > unsure
> > > alone
> in
> > > its
> browse
> > > the
> > server

> > > Here's

> > hub/switch,
> > connected

SBS
> probably
> > you

> ports
> > > you

> > run
> > browse
> > because
> > > SBS2k3
> > > set

DMZ
> > NIC
> well
> > > as
> > web

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virtual Directory to a remote UNC not working properly
    ... The reason you get a login popup from Intranet is because browsers do ... not auto-login to Internet address by default. ... it eventually accesses a page with NAS URL that looks ... My current authentication method on the Web Server is only set to Integrated ...
  • Re: Virtual Directory to a remote UNC not working properly
    ... not auto-login to Internet address by default. ... it eventually accesses a page with NAS URL that looks ... My current authentication method on the Web Server is only set to Integrated ... need to open more holes in the firewall to allow RPC and UNC ports as ...
  • Re: Webserver, DMZ, ports questions
    ... Internet accesible services like SMTP have a seperate ... DMZ or a third interface in the firewall. ... As far as source / destination ports goes. ... from the internet to my web server, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: fileshare on my website
    ... the right ports open... ... mention fileshares in the subject and included the sbs machine in the ... internet account does not have access to the share on the sbs machine. ... the documents you want outside users to see to somewhere on the web server ...
  • Re: Virtual Directory to a remote UNC not working properly
    ... which works for both the intranet and internet. ... it eventually accesses a page with NAS URL that looks ... My current authentication method on the Web Server is only set to Integrated ...