Test Network reccomendation

I would like to setup a test network environment for application
development. I would like this to mirror the parts of our large network
that our applications touch. These applications gather, modify, and
redistribute data from many divisions of the company. Two physical file
servers, two sql servers all under one domain and a file server/sql server
for outside puplic access.
I am thinking that building a test environment with names identical to the
real environment would allow us to test apps and move them directly to the
real setup. In the live environment there is pretty heavy traffic but the
test environment would only need to test individual transactions from one
user (one of us developers).
So I have a few questions:
1. Is this a normal and logical method?
2. Can I purchase one fast server with lots of memory and run the servers
virtually?
3. What problems would come up if I plugged this test environment into the
main network as a different domain. (so we could access from our regular
workstations)
This is a large company and these are critical apps so without going crazy,
the cost factor is not an issue.

Thaks for any tips or advice,
Ken

  • Re: Usefulness of Network Intrusion Detection Systems
    ... >track of application data sent over the network as well ... Different applications and protocols present different ... You're forgetting that the IDP may stop the exploit attempting to ... in a university environment where we basically have 15,000 home ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Windows 2008 IPv6
    ... But for future planning i think you should always start the better way, to prevent yourself to reconfigure everything, when it comes to the point that your network grow up. ... So in the new environment I have 2 dell poweredge servers running ... I building the 2008 environment from scratch.. ... with that subnet mask you have a really big broadcast domain ...
  • I need Job Blobb
    ... I am a systems and network administrator looking for a ... Windows and Network administratation. ... In a job I would like to administrate servers, ... environment, creation ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Pix 535 Logging
    ... environment you should be able to. ... Have you thought about just blocking all outbound port 25 ... connections except for your authorized MX and mail servers? ... A Cisco Systems, Inc., Certified Network Associate ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Understanding Mac OS X Open Directory
    ... relies on shared Open Directory domains to provide network user accounts ... other servers that are bound to the domain. ... XEROX Parc for the Smalltalk-76 programming environment, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)