Re: Allowing Incoming Connections

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 01/08/05

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:04:01 -0600

If you have an ipsec policy or tcp/ip filtering on your computer that can
also block access to ports. You can use the two ipsec mmc snapins to see if
any ipsecpolicy is assigned to the computer. Tcp/ip filtering is configured
in tcp/ip properties/advanced/options. Netstat -ano would be a way to see
what ports are listening. The portqry tool is helpful in tracking down port
availability. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=832919 -- portqry

"Vadim Berezniker" <vadim@berezniker.com> wrote in message
>I cannot seem to get Windows 2003 to accept incoming connections (on
>arbitrary ports). I do not have NAT or anything else that might affect the
>interface enabled. The same occurs even if the firewall is disabled.
> I can see that programs are bound to certain ports, but connecting to
> those ports externally does not work.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: TCP/IP Filtering problem on W2KAS
    ... The problem is that if you are listing ports that are 'allowed' and you ... don't list every dynamic port used by a client to access the DNS ... "Using IPSec to Lock Down a Server": ... I find using the IPSec filters MUCH more useful then the TCP/IP Filtering. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: TCP/IP filtering and opening DNS
    ... > I am having some problems with TCP/IP filtering and DNS with my ... > know its something with DNS. ... You also need to open ports above 1024 for outgoing connections. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: TCP/IP Filtering Problem
    ... TCP/IP filtering is stateful for TCP but not for UDP. ... The ports you are ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Closing ports
    ... In XP pro the TCP/IP filtering panel has "Permit All" or "Permit Only" ... By and large I found in XP the TCP/IP filtering is only for decoration! ... the lack of direct denomination of the unwanted ports can be worked around? ... > Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - Security ...
  • Re: TCP/IP Filtering works for incomming traffic, but closed my outgoing traffic
    ... eg, you brought up the TCP/IP filtering dialog and did abc, opening xyz ... My problem now is that I cant access the net from that server only ... > to the Enabled ports to be able to access the internet or what should I ...