Re: specified network name is no longer available

From: Dean Landry (dlandry_at_cs.dal.ca)
Date: 04/13/04

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:00:09 -0300

After moving ports around and changing ports away from Auto settings I
finally ended up putting the two machines on one Cisco switch (seperate
VLANS). So the traffic leaves the switch, goes through a PIX firewall and
then re-enters the switch to the other vlan. Could this be the issue?
Surely a copy should work accross the PIX?

Dean

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It appears we are having the same issue in regards to
> moving large files, 1 GB+. We are running Windows 2003
> Std and Windows 2003 Appliance edition. After an
> unspecified amount of time the file copy the file copy
> errors out with network resource is no longer available.
> We can not tie this error to any type of network outage.
> We have the particualr servers setup with static WINS
> entries and both have proper DNS entries. The one server
> has 2 active NIC's in it one going to an internal public
> network and the other goes to an internal private
> network. The other server has 2 NIC's only one is
> enabled. Both of these are HP/Compaq servers. We have
> tried switching port speed and duplex, and also have
> switched to different cables and different ports in the
> switch. The only thing that I do notice is that while
> the copy is in porgress both NIC's appear to be maxed for
> network utilization which makes the server seem
> unresponsive through RDC. But on the other we have been
> getting this when with low network utilization as well on
> the 2 NIC server. Any other ideas?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ConnectComputer Problem
    ... I'm a little confused by your network configuration. ... Switch2 --- SBS Server ... switch has internet access all the time, the second switch has the client ... NICs ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RDP Connections - Freeze or Reconnect
    ... I immediately swapped the connector and cable out and plugged the cable coming out of the switch into the spare 100mb NIC adapter but still using the connector and extra cable. ... The connection of the 100mb LAN from then on appeared much more stable. ... If I logon and test the RDP connection with a dialup modem through RRAS (Terminal server is also a RAS Server), would you expect it to misbehave if it was I switch problem? ... You mentioned seeing a red X on the server's network connection in an earlier post. ...
  • Re: Hacked?
    ... have some kind of pointer to try to contact a computer on that network. ... Those are NetBIOS ports, and NetBIOS is somewhat chatty and can generate ... installing Zone Alarm on the computer in question would be ... > currently hosting the email server, DNS, as well ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Backup to USB works but to NAS fails
    ... There is a 30' stretch from the server to a hub (which doesn't have ... Then 3' to the NAS drive. ... Can you reduce things down to one decent switch. ... Poor network throughput, is most commonly, use of cheap 25$ ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IIS / Web Services Security threats
    ... You will be surprised to know, due to a recent virus attack on the perimeter network, the common ports have been closed too. ... I also develop Java applications which runs on weblogic server. ... Since, the entire world knows about port 80 and 443, I thought opening a specific port with IP Sec configuration may make the network little secure. ... My security team thinks allowing communication between the two IIS ...