RE: NDS to Windows Active Directory Migration Question

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I also think it is an issue, because computer accounts can not be migrate
automatically. In the white paper of the migration form Novell to AD, we
can see the following words:

Objects that must be manually migrated include: computer accounts, printer
objects, and application objects.

According to my experience, you can add a client computer to domain
remotely if it is a windows 2000 based machine. But the command is unable
to run successfully if the client is windows XP. So we need to migrate them
manually.

For the detail information, please refer to the following KB article:
Using Netdom 2.0 to Create Computer Accounts on Admin-Specified Domain
Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266651
Netdom.exe Cannot Join a Windows XP Professional-Based Computer to a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=294355

The white paper of migration:
NetWare to Windows Server 2003 Migration Planning Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/sfnmig.mspx

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD