RE: NDS to Windows Active Directory Migration Question

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I also think it is an issue, because computer accounts can not be migrate
automatically. In the white paper of the migration form Novell to AD, we
can see the following words:

Objects that must be manually migrated include: computer accounts, printer
objects, and application objects.

According to my experience, you can add a client computer to domain
remotely if it is a windows 2000 based machine. But the command is unable
to run successfully if the client is windows XP. So we need to migrate them
manually.

For the detail information, please refer to the following KB article:
Using Netdom 2.0 to Create Computer Accounts on Admin-Specified Domain
Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266651
Netdom.exe Cannot Join a Windows XP Professional-Based Computer to a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=294355

The white paper of migration:
NetWare to Windows Server 2003 Migration Planning Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/sfnmig.mspx

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

  • Re: Migration with XP Prof
    ... > do after the migration is to select the target domain from the domains ... Migrate computer accounts ... >> Does I power on Windows XP computer with logon Domain Administrator ...
  • Inactive Computer Accounts
    ... We have just completed a Windows NT to Windows 2003 migration. ... there were a lot of computer accounts that were created ... Is there a script that I can run that will tell ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • RE: NDS to Windows Active Directory Migration Question
    ... In the white paper of the migration form Novell to AD, ... Objects that must be manually migrated include: computer accounts, ... to run successfully if the client is windows XP. ...
  • ADMT cant work at additional domain controller
    ... We are planning to migrate 800+ workstations from Windows NT 4.0 domain to ... we can migrate the computer accounts ... domain controller to do the ADMT migration in order to speed up the task. ...
  • RE: ADMT Performance
    ... We used to test the mgration of 20-30K computer accounts in a single pass ... system memory on the migration console computer ... Subject: ADMT Performance ... I need to migrate 1500 workstations into W2k forest. ...