Re: migrating local profiles

From: schmeckendeugler (schmeckendeugler_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/18/05

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:17:05 -0800

In my testing so far (I'm migrating TOMORROW!! ) this was not necessary.

I migrated user groups, Then users, then a workstation. Voila, it worked.
Now, I DID opt to copy user SIDs, perhaps this is why it worked?

"Don Wilwol" wrote:

> ADMT can do this. You will need to run the security translation and migrate
> the profiles. If the workstations are in the same domain as the users this
> can be one step. If the users are in different domains from the
> workstations, then it needs to be a separate step. This is because you need
> to be logged in as administrator of the domain, and trying it through a
> trust just doesn't work.
>
> It doesn't take long to run it twice though.
>
> Translate Security for users in a different domain than the workstation.
>
> Migrate users first.
>

> Run ADMT as domain administrator in the domain the current workstation is a
> member of.
>

> Open security translation wizard.
>

> At Test or Make Changes select Click Migrate Now?
>

> At Security Translation Options select Click Previously migrated objects.
>

> At Domain Selection In the Source domain box, type or select the name of the
> source domain.
>
> In the Target domain box, type or select the name of the target domain.
>

> At Translate Objects, select all.
>

> Security Translation Options Click Add.
>

> Then migrate the user and profile as normal.
>

> --
> Hope it helps...........
>
> dw
>
> Don Wilwol
> Blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/wilwol/
> Web - http://capital.net/~wilwol/dw.htm
> DonWilwol(REMOVE)@yahoo.com
>
> "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello! I need to migrate an NT4 domain into an existing (and two-way
> > trusted) W2K3 domain using ADMT. When I test the migration, the local
> > profile did not migrate. Is there a way to actually migrate the profile?
> > What I want is for *all* the user info to be associated with the user, in
> > the
> > new domain. For example, the old profile called "ndrew" is copied as
> > "ndrew.newdomain" on the machine called "drew". If ADMT cannot do this, I
> > will need to buy a 3rd party tool as I have too many users that will
> > *require* their old profiles. Thanks, Nancy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Classic logon" screen in XP does not remeber the user name
    ... upgrade mode and I have seen that myself on one of my computers that worked ... John N ... I recently upgraded a workstation from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro. ... can copy missing shortcuts to the new profile. ...
  • Re: "Classic logon" screen in XP does not remeber the user name
    ... John N ... I recently upgraded a workstation from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro. ... can copy missing shortcuts to the new profile. ... you can work from the server and ...
  • Re: Mystery User names...
    ... I then login and back out as this user to create the profile the same way I ... I have always had a GPO that give admin's full access to profile folders. ... Run gpupdate /force, same error, restart DC and Workstation, same error. ... How long did you wait after you deleted the account and all its traces ...
  • Re: Errors migrating from NT to 2003
    ... what 's the OS version on the Workstation? ... Best regards, ... Errors migrating from NT to 2003 ... domain groups to a local group on the WS: ...
  • Re: Change Domain user profile and reconfigure Redirected My Docum
    ... If the workstation is separated from the original domain, ... I copy the Domain profile to a fresh local profile the My Documents folder ... Windows Explorer and click Tools -> Folder Options and go to the Offline ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)