Plan to perform a "not in place" upgrade
From: Johny (Johny_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:49:09 -0800
Hope some of the "Gurus" in the MSFT can answear to me.
Please tell me if my plan will fail or if I'am wrong...
I have a Win2k0 network with only one Win2k0 Server. I buy a new hardware
and put in it Win2k3 standard.
The goal is to "replace" the win2k0 for the new win2k03 and then reinstall
the old machine with win2k3 and make it a BDC for the new win2k3 (and put it
other functions in it).
The actual Win2k0 have this "cumulative" jobs (that I want to transfer in
100% to the new Win2k3):
Domain Controller in "mixed mode" (company.com); DNS (forward to ISP);
Global Catalog; File Server; Printer Server; core business software
(backoffice); Disk Quota System (from windows itself)
My plan is this:
1. Get a Ghost image of the actual Win2k0 server (case anything goes wrong)
2. Do all the next steps on a weekend (no one to bother me... lol)
3. Run "Adprep /forestprep" and "Adprep /domainprep" on Win2k0 server (are
this commands already in the 2000 server or I have to put the Win2k3 CD into
4. Install Win2k3 server standard on the new hardware (already done)
5. Join the new Win2k03 server into the 2000 domain (company.com)
6. Run DCPromo in the Win2k3 server to be and aditional DC
7. Install "AD-integrated DNS" in win2k3 server (I don´t know how to do
8. Move the Global Catalog to the Win2k3 server
9. Transfer the FSMO Roles to the win2k3 server (with the NTDSUTIL.EXE)
10. Transfer the printer server function (with FSMT tool)
11. Transfer the printer server function (with the Printer Migration Tool)
12. RUN DCPromo in the Win2k0 to demote it and unplug it from the network
13. Change the IP addres of the new Win2k3 to the IP of the old Win2k0 (to
save the DNS in the workstations)
14. re-install the old Win2k0 with Win2k3 server enterprise, promote it as
BDC and install all the core business software in it too
In all this steps would you thing that I will lose anything??
For example: Users, Groups, Files, quotas, shared folders, permissions (of
users), map drives will change (and don't work) in the workstations???????
anything at all will have any chance to fail????