RE: Win2K3 PDC not acting as time server

From: Bob Qin [MSFT] (bobqin_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:30:49 GMT

Hi Jerry,

First are all the DCs in Default_First_site_name site? Did you create a
subnet in Windows Server 2003 Active Directory?

If not, please open Active Directory Sites and Services on a DC and
createcreate a subnet for Default_First_site_name site and assign it to
Default_First_site_name site.

What is the result now?

If the problem still persists, please check if you still have problem on
other DCs. If so, please run the following command on another DC with
problem.

gpresult /v > DC.txt

and export the following registry key to a reg file then rename it to be
txt file.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters]

Run the command of "gpresult /v > client.txt" on a client and also export
the same registry.

Please send me the above four files for further research.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
      From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnlU?= <JerryT@discussions.microsoft.com>
      Subject: RE: Win2K3 PDC not acting as time server
      Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:33:01 -0700
      Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration

      Bob,

      The results I gave you were from running "w32tm /dumpreg" on the
client. I
      checked with the group that sets up the workstations. The standard
procedure
      in the old domain was to run "w32tm /syncfromflags:manual
      /manualpeerlist:pelican" where pelican is the edge server acting as
the
      domain ntp source. So this makes sense, but of course is not what I
need.

      Running "net time /domain" works correctly

      M:\>net time /domain:hq.encoder.com
      Current time at \\swift.hq.encoder.com is 8/24/2004 6:27 AM

      The command completed successfully.

      Running "net time /set" responds correctly.

      M:\>net time /set
      Current time at \\HAWK is 8/24/2004 6:29 AM

      The current local clock is 8/24/2004 6:29 AM
      Do you want to set the local computer's time to match the
      time at \\HAWK? (Y/N) [Y]: y
      The command completed successfully.

      So those two command work as they should on the client.

      I have removed the Domain Time policy and verified with "gpresult"
that it
      is no longer applied.

      Modified the registry on the client to match what you show. Rebooted
client.
      Wait 2 hours. Then start getting w32Time errors as before.

      W32Time, Event 24
      "Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from
domain
      controller hawk.hq.encoder.com after 8 attempts to contact it. This
domain
      controller will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will
attempt to
      discover a new domain controller from which to synchronize."

      W32Time, Event 29
      "The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one
or more
      time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.
No
      attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient
has no
      source of accurate time."

      Same as before.
      Thanks for your assistance.

      "Bob Qin [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> Did you run the "w32tm /dumpreg /subkey:parameters" on the clients
or the
> DCs? Based on the registry settings, the clients is use NTP as time
service
> type. It is recommended to user the NT5DS for this type on the
clients in
> domain. In addition, it is also the default setting.
>
> Did you set any local policy in these clients? Maybe it may cause
conflict
> in the policy settings.
>
> Please run "net time /domain:yourdomainname" and "net time /set"
commands
> on the client. What is the result"?
>
> Now let's reset the time service settings in Domain policy and
Local policy
> to "Not Configured". Please run gpresult on the client again to
make sure
> that the clients do not apply any settings of Time service.
>
> Run regedit.exe to make sure the following registry values on the
clients
> are set correctly.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters]
> "ServiceMain"="SvchostEntry_W32Time"
> "ServiceDll"=C:\WINDOWS\System32\w32time.dll
> "NtpServer"="time.windows.com,0x1"
> "Type"="NT5DS"
>
> Do you still get the W32Time error on the clients?
>
> Regards,
> Bob Qin
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so
rights.

> --------------------
> From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnlU?= <JerryT@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Subject: RE: Win2K3 PDC not acting as time server
> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:29:01 -0700
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
>
> Bob,
>
> I have the DCs manually pointed to the DNS on my PDC with the
other
> DC as
> the secondary. This is the same configuration that is setup
for all
> the
> clients via DHCP. Checking with ipconfig shows that all are
aimed at
> the same
> DNS.
>
> The DCs now seem to by synch'd to the edge server, at least
neither
> are
> reporting any errors regarding time synch at this point. So I
assume
> they are
> OK. That's a bit of good news.
>
> The clients all still seem to be having problems however.
Typically
> they are
> generating W32Time errors 24 and 29. They are trying to
obtain time
> synch
> from first one DC and then the other, always failing with "no
time
> source
> available".
>
> I did as you recommended and have emailed the results of the
queries
> to you.
>
> To summarize the results, it appears that the Domain time
policy is
> being
> applied, I'm not sure if it is correct. Would like to know
what you
> think.
> Trying to resynch fails. And as for the registry settings I'm
not
> sure what
> to expect.
>
> I do have NTP Client enabled in the Domain policy, is that
the
> correct
> setting?
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
> JT
>

> "Bob Qin [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Jerry,
> >
> > Please make sure that you have point all the clients and
the Domain
> > Controllers to the same internal DNS server.
> >
> > Then run the following command on the client
> >
> > W32tm /resync /rediscover
> >
> > What is the result?
> >
> > As for the "gpedit", it should be gpresult. We can use
"gpresult
> /v" on
> > the client to check if the client apply the policy. In
addition,
> please run
> > the following command on the client and let me know the
result.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/intmgmt/26_xp
> > wts.mspx
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bob Qin
> > Microsoft Online Partner Support
> >
> > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so
> > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no
> rights.
> >
> > --------------------
> > From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnlU?=
<JerryT@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > Subject: RE: Win2K3 PDC not acting as time server
> > Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:37:02 -0700
> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
> >
> > Bob,
> > I made the change to GPO as you recommend. It looks
like the
> DC's are
> > now
> > syncing to the time source on my edge server. The way
this
> has been
> > going I
> > won't be confident about that until about 24 hours
have
> passed.
> >
> > I'm no expert on GPO by any means so don't understand
what
> GPEDIT on
> > client would accomplish. Won't that just show the
local
> computer
> > policy?
> >
> > In any case I checked with GPEDIT and it showed all
Windows
> Time
> > Service
> > policies as "not configured". However using the RSoP
tool
> from the
> > server
> > showed the policies applied as expected. NTP Client
enabled,
> and NTP
> > Client
> > Configuration set for NT5DS etc.
> >
> > BTW is there anywhere I can get details on what these
> settings mean?
> > I have
> > searched the MS site, Help etc. Nada. It would be
nice to
> know what
> > the heck
> > "AllSync" implies.
> >
> > Thanks much for your help.
> >

> > "Bob Qin [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jerry,
> > >
> > > Please modify the GPO for Domain Controllers to
enable
> "Windows NTP
> > Client"
> > > and use "NTP" in "Configure Windows NTP Client " to
point
> to a
> > external
> > > time server.
> > >
> > > Remember to run the "gpupdate /force" command after
modify
> GPO.
> > >
> > > In addition, please run gpedit.msc on a Windows XP
client
> to check
> > if the
> > > group settings are applied.
> > >
> > > You can send the log files to bobqin@microsoft.com.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Bob Qin
> > > Microsoft Online Partner Support
> > >
> > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> > >
> > > ====================================================
> > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your
> > newsreader so
> > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> > > ====================================================
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and
> confers no
> > rights.
> > >
> > > --------------------
> > > From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnlU?=
> <JerryT@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > > Subject: RE: Win2K3 PDC not acting as time
server
> > > Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:35:02 -0700
> > > Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.server.migration

> > > Bob,
> > > Thanks for your help. I did as you
recommended and
> > transferred roles
> > > from
> > > PDC to other DC. Still have similar problems.
At this
> point
> > the new
> > > PDC
> > > complains that it is the PDC and but is
configured to
> use the
> > domain
> > > hierarchy etc. Event ID 12 from W32Time.
> > >
> > > The other DC (old PDC) now generates W32Time
Event 38
> > followed by
> > > Event 24.
> > > Essentially saying that it is unable to sync
with the
> new
> > PDC.
> > >
> > > It appears that these have now reversed their
roles,
> > different
> > > complaints
> > > still no sync. Beats me why they aren't
syncing to
> the
> > external
> > > source as
> > > configured in GPO.
> > >
> > > Additionally the XP clients are still failing
to get
> any sync.
> > >
> > > If you know of some way for me to get the
logs to you
> let me
> > know.

all the
> FSMO
> > roles
> > > including
sure that
> you have
> > run the

Windows
> Server 2003

Group"
> via your
> > > newsreader so
issue.

> warranties, and
> > confers no
> > > rights.

> > <JerryT@discussions.microsoft.com>
time
> server
> microsoft.public.windows.server.migration

for the
> domain
> > controlers
> > > and one
service
> several
> > times, with
> > > the same
other DC
> is still
> > having
> > > problems.
time
> servers, no
> > client can

succeeds on
> both DCs,
> > nothing
the DC
> continues
> > to report

my edge
> > (replacement
> > > with IAS
on that
> proxy I
> > cannot
> > > have DC
setup as
> an NTP
> > server.
> > > This has
set the
> DC's to
> > sync to
> > > that

since
> this news
> > server
> > > refuses
message
> about three
> > times
> > > now.

is Hawk,
> DC is
> > Swift and
> > > proxy

> Controllers to
> > use
> > > "AllSync"
> Override" for
> > this
> > > Domain
level to
> use NT5DS
> > > synchronization.

name in

www.microsoft.com/security

"Reply to
> Group"
> > via your
from your
> issue.

with no
> > warranties, and
> > > confers no

> > > <JerryT@discussions.microsoft.com>
acting as
> time
> > server
10:19:02 -0700
> > microsoft.public.windows.server.migration

however.

Domain
> Controllers
> > to act
> > > as NTP
minute and
> then stop
> > > responding.

event logs
> filling
> > up so I
> > > resized
Double
> checked
> > to make
> > > sure I
restarted
> my PDC.

Service
> on the
> > PDC I
> > > can sync
then it
> stops
> > > responding.

other DC

Time on PDC

local
> computer...
because
> no time
> > data was

restarted the
> Windows
> > Time
> > > Service on PDC

local
> computer...
successfully.

local
> computer...
successfully.

local
> computer...
because
> no time
> > data was

> crazy(er).

here.

following
> command on
> > other DC
> > > and

have
> point the
> > DCs and
> > > clients to

the
> time
> > service
> > > settings using
2003 AD.
> The
> > settings is in
> > > the

> Configuration\Administrative

Support

> www.microsoft.com/security

please
> "Reply to
> > Group"
> > > via your
benefit
> from your
> > issue.

"AS IS"
> with no
> > > warranties, and

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnlU?=
not
> acting as
> > time server
2004
> 12:49:08 -0700
> > > microsoft.public.windows.server.migration

PDC and
> BDC to
> > Win2K3.
> > > The PDC