Unable to kill remote desktop session

Hi,

I am unable to kill/reset/log off a remote desktop session.

Yesterday we had to login to our production server (W2K8 R2) with the Administrator account and startup the Sql Server Management Studio. The connection was disconnected and we have not been able to login to that specific account since then.

We are able to login with our personal accounts (which have administrator permissions) and startup the "Remote Desktop Services Manager" and confirm that the administrator session is in "Disconnected" state. The reset/log off commands does unfortunately not affect the disconnected session.

The taskmgr says there are two remaining processes:
explorer.exe
smss * 32.exe (Sql Server Management Studio)

We are also unable to end these processes.

The Event Viewer says the following:
* The following application was terminated because it was hung: explorer.exe. - WHICH IS NOT CORRECT SINCE IT HAS NOT BEEN TERMINATED

* The following application was terminated because it was hung: Ssms.exe. - WHICH IS NOT CORRECT SINCE IT HAS NOT BEEN TERMINATED

* The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004)

* The COM+ Event System timed out attempting to fire the Logoff method on event class {D5978630-5B9F-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E} for publisher and subscriber . The subscriber failed to respond within 180 seconds. The display name of the subscription is "Explorer". The HRESULT was 800705b4.

Do you have any idea how to kill the processes and disconnect the session without restarting the server?

Regards,
Johnny

  • Re: FIRED IT ADMIN HAS LOCKED US OUT OF SBS
    ... you have risen to an Administrator this would be a given. ... server and run all LOB apps on these. ... If there are no encrypted files, just reset the DSRM account ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: FIRED IT ADMIN HAS LOCKED US OUT OF SBS
    ... Teneo> Interesting post and Im now gonna be a party pooper... ... connections) before cutting power to the server and to the Internet ... If there are no encrypted files, just reset the DSRM account ... and try old domain Administrator account's passwords. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... I created a new user on the XP box, set as an administrator ... this new user account is local to the XP system, ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log ... member of the local administrators group on the server. ...
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... this new user account is local to the XP system, and a member of the local administrator's group on that workstation. ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log on to the xp workstation using my regular, non-privileged domain account, run mstsc, and then logon to the server using a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group on the server. ... In addition, I frequently use runas to run privileged applications on the workstation using my "administrator" account, and have found that files cannot be copied between those applications and anything running under the credentials of my regular account - even though my administrator account actually does have full access to everything on the workstation - just not through my regular account's view of that workstation. ...
  • Re: Shared Fax device not available anymore after reboot server!?!
    ... the error message one by one to the Newsgroup for accurate research. ... You can send fax by using Administrator account. ... after the reboot of the server no account is able to fax anaymore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)