Unable to kill remote desktop session

Hi,

I am unable to kill/reset/log off a remote desktop session.

Yesterday we had to login to our production server (W2K8 R2) with the Administrator account and startup the Sql Server Management Studio. The connection was disconnected and we have not been able to login to that specific account since then.

We are able to login with our personal accounts (which have administrator permissions) and startup the "Remote Desktop Services Manager" and confirm that the administrator session is in "Disconnected" state. The reset/log off commands does unfortunately not affect the disconnected session.

The taskmgr says there are two remaining processes:
explorer.exe
smss * 32.exe (Sql Server Management Studio)

We are also unable to end these processes.

The Event Viewer says the following:
* The following application was terminated because it was hung: explorer.exe. - WHICH IS NOT CORRECT SINCE IT HAS NOT BEEN TERMINATED

* The following application was terminated because it was hung: Ssms.exe. - WHICH IS NOT CORRECT SINCE IT HAS NOT BEEN TERMINATED

* The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004)

* The COM+ Event System timed out attempting to fire the Logoff method on event class {D5978630-5B9F-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E} for publisher and subscriber . The subscriber failed to respond within 180 seconds. The display name of the subscription is "Explorer". The HRESULT was 800705b4.

Do you have any idea how to kill the processes and disconnect the session without restarting the server?

Regards,
Johnny
.