Re: Win2008 Datacenter Edition and VMware

On 21/04/2010 23:56, kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
Chris M wrote:
On 21/04/2010 22:52, kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
Chris M wrote:
On 21/04/2010 12:33, ic wrote:
Hello everyone;

With win2008 Datacenter Edition i've an unlimited number of virtual
machine.
I assign this license on every physical server.
I can use unlimited number of vm only with hiper-v or also with
vmware?

From here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx#virt

Q. Do the virtualization licensing rights of Windows Server 2008
apply when used with non-Microsoft software virtualization
technologies?
A. Yes. The use rights apply regardless of the virtualization
product being used. However, any non-Microsoft software
virtualization technologies are not supported by Microsoft.

The non Microsoft virtualization technologies part is outdated now.
There are several third party virtualization products that are now
MS supportable (version and configuration dependant).

They're not talking about the ability to run Microsoft operating
systems under third party virtualization platforms - as you rightly
point out that has been possible for years. They mean that, in the
event that you have problems with your virtual machines, Microsoft
will not support virtualization platforms other than their own.

Interpreted that as "MS won't support the VMWare hypervisor", no problem.
I've had too may say the MS OS running in the virtual machine won't be
supported either.

Just for clarity then;

The following articles should be referenced for current supportability
guidance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957006/

I did actually read the articles referenced by my first link, and completely missed the reference to the SVVP programme! My bad...

--
Chris M.

  • Re: Virtual PC 2007
    ... (31,138KB 32 bit download) ... In terms of VT-x support (hardware virtualization in the processor), ... so running Linux is a "second class experience". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Repost: Using SetTokenInformation to control file system virtualization on Vista?
    ... global namespace but instead getting the virtual file? ... This is embedding specific knowledge about virtualization in your ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Need Expert Opinions - VMware & Active Directory
    ... They can't tell them they can't do it but by the same token those companies can't tell MSFT that they have to support it. ... The very best support on non-MSFT virtualization is best effort and you have to duplicate the issue on physical hardware if they so decide. ... Simply put, if you blow your physical host, you aren't just restoring the host and restarting VMs from the restored host's disk... ...
  • RE: Exchange 2003 installation on VMWARE virtual machine.
    ... Running Microsoft Exchange Server in a Virtual Machine Using VMware ESX ... Microsoft Support Policies and Recommendations for Exchange Servers in ... Hardware Virtualization Environments ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Re: PC Shopping: How do I tell if a PC is VT-capable (MS Virtualization)?
    ... How is it Intel's fault that you purchased a PC that doesn't support virtualization? ... Will a "Windows 7 ready" sticker, if such exists, include VT ... "AMD markets its virtualization extensions to the 64-bit x86 architecture ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)