RE: task scheduler, wbadmin and bat files

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting in newsgroup.

According to the description, the issue seems to be related to Wbadmin
syntax in a task scheduler. It seems when you specifies -user and -password
options in the schedule task, it does not work even with the -quiet option.

Analysis and Suggestion:

Based on the research, this is expected behavior, WBADMIN by default uses
interactive output and asks user to continue. If you want to use it with
Task Scheduler i.e. in non-interactive mode; you may need to use -quiet
option. The "-quiet" option is used to run the subcommand with no prompts
to the user. It seems that we will be prompted to confirm the backup if
this option is not configured. In a scheduled task environment, as it runs
in the system account without interactive dialog, the system may wait for
the confirmation forever so the backup could not proceed.

I understand that you are not able to run the command while using -user and
-password even if with -quiet option.

Please try the following steps:

1. Please make sure the schedule task is being run at highest privileges in
the scheduled task.

2. Please kindly try to run the command in command-line; This situation can
happen if your username/password are incorrect. WBADMIN will prompt for the
credential and in non-interactive mode it will go in hung state.

For example:

1. When we specify a schedule task to start a program at a specific time
with syntax -quiet, the system will start a backup without user interaction.

Program to start: C:\Windows\System32\Wbadmin.exe

Add arguments:

start backup -backuptarget:\\192.168.1.20\backup -include:e:
-user:nwtrader\test -password:<Password> -quiet

2. However, if we specify a scheduler task to start a program at a specific
time without syntax -quiet, the system will pop up a command line which ask
us "Do you want to start the backup operation?". Thus, the backup operation
won't begin until we may input Y to confirm the operation.

Program to start: C:\Windows\System32\Wbadmin.exe

Add arguments:

start backup -backuptarget:\\192.168.1.20\backup -include:e:
-user:nwtrader\test -password:<Password>

Please note: in the example, the user account nwtrader\test need to have
backup privilege on both the source and target server.

For the syntax of Wbadmin, please refer to:

Wbadmin start backup

For your more information, I have included a blog which shows to run a
scheduled systemstatebackup in a bat file.

Windows Server 2008: Creating and Maintaining System State Backups on Your
Domain Controller
http://blogs.southworks.net/aalvarez/2008/05/27/windows-server-2008-creating
-and-maintaining-system-state-backups-on-your-domain-controller/

Hope the information will be helpful for you.

David Shen
Microsoft Online Technical Support

  • Re: Cant schedule a batch file to run in the XP Pro Scheduler
    ... If your backup program called in the BAT file is ... > does NOT run fine is when I try to call the backup.bat batch file ... Why doesn't the XP task scheduler handle batch files? ... > I want to automate the backup of our Retail Management Software ...
  • Re: Ntbackup seems not to start properly 30 to 50% of the time.
    ... Ntbackup seems not to start properly 30 to 50% of the time. ... I have a simple script running from scheduler. ... It would appear that a re-boot allows the backup to complete once. ...
  • Re: Ntbackup seems not to start properly 30 to 50% of the time.
    ... Ntbackup seems not to start properly 30 to 50% of the time. ... I have a simple script running from scheduler. ... I built a small test server and using AT instead of Windows Scheduler, ... It would appear that a re-boot allows the backup to complete once. ...
  • Re: Backup Utility Not Working
    ... drive is available to the Scheduler user. ... a backup operation to this drive from two different users on this computer, ... Your Task Scheduler report is accessible via the Advanced pull-down menu ... backup report file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Scheduled Backup Fails
    ... If you schedule a backup then there IS a command. ... What does the Task Scheduler log file say? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)