Re: SFTP Solution

"Starbuck" <Starbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:8ns4e4h8vh514lv2pauccpksdd5s1nivj9@xxxxxxxxxx
I also came across the list of products at the wikipedia site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SFTP_servers
but at this stage I guess what I really want are your recommendations
on which product you use and why.

Keep in mind that a lot of people cannot use SFTP from where they are
because either their FTP Client can't do SFTP or the Firewall or Proxy
Server doesn't have the Application Filters to decrypt/encrypt the SFTP
packets in order to maintain the FTP port complexities of the connection.
So SFTP is only a reasonable solution if you control both ends of the
connection environment.

Here are samples of the problems of FTP, even regular FTP,...it only gets
worse with SFTP. The Firewall product in these articles is MS ISA Server,
but similar issues can arise with any firewall product.

How the FTP protocol Challenges Firewall Security
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/How_the_FTP_protocol_Challenges_Firewall_Security.html

Solving the Secure FTP [SFTP] dilemma with ISA Server 2004 and 2006
http://blogs.isaserver.org/pouseele/2006/10/08/solving-the-secure-ftp-dilemma-with-isa-server-2004-and-2006/

FTP Client Access from a Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA)
Server Network
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/isa/2000/maintain/isaftpci.mspx

Active mode FTP client programs cannot access an FTP server from behind
Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884580

You would be better off with an SSL Web site which can easily do downloads.
The uploads can be done with web site componenets developed with Java or
ActiveX. ASP.net may have abilities of uploading with componenets included
with it.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

  • Re: SPAM sudden increase
    ... > Dude was on a tech call with f-secure and the tech asked, "So, ... dude is trying to FTP to their server using WSFTP. ... but I think he is talking about sftp protocol - FTP via ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Does IIS support SFTP?
    ... There are several excellent SFTP server out there for Windows. ... use Cerberus FTP Server for FTP, ... Here's a guide for using SSH to set up SFTP on Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: FTP partially blocked-- how to trace?
    ... something on the server to only allow secure FTP. ... I changed the protocol in WinSCP from SFTP to SCP and it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: sftp and FreeBSD
    ... I closed down ftp on our FreeBSD server recently and have ... However I also have a FreeBSD ... When I type "sftp thedomain.com" (thedomain.com is not the domain I am ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Help with IPFW + NATD + Passive FTP
    ... passive FTP connections through IPFW with NATD enabled. ... $cmd 005 allow all from any to any via dc0 ... # Interface facing Public internet ... # Allow out access to my ISP's Domain name server. ...
    (freebsd-questions)