Re: DHCP

Thank you again for your response. I can not seem to figure out how to post
pictures of the actual errors on this web site. Can I e-mail the errors to
you instead or can you give me input as to how to post them here.

Thanks again!

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

Hello Bob,

This is the first time you provide event viewer errors. So please post the
complete error message here. Only with the number it is not easy to find
correct infos about.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I have read all the links to the information you supplied to me
although I have also read them previously. I am not sure if I either
can't understand the information provided or if it does not apply to
my situation, which I do not believe it does.

I do not intend to change DNS or DHCP servers. I plan on leaving them
on the W2K servers where they currently reside. These servers appear
to be working correctly with no problems. All DHCP addresses get
assigned correctly on the network.

Since these machines are DHCP Client Windows Server 2003 machines with
Static IP addresses assigned and DNS Primary and Secondary permanently
assigned which are logging on to the network fine. The Error codes
are the same on all the static assigned machines are always the same.
Event ID - 1004 followed by 7035 followed by 7036 followed by 7023.
These four events are consistent on all the 2003 Servers, again none
of which are DHCP or DNS servers.

Thank you again.

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

Hello Bob,

Even if you use fixed ip's, the machines will renew the DNS records
and for
that it needs the running service:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264539
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/65107b40-8847-
4079-b8dc-5c01ca46c76d1033.mspx?mfr=true

How to move a DHCP database:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325473
Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers
no rights.
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
OK, thank you for your very quick response. Why would a static
address need to be registered and renewed on a private network?
Also since there is not databse period in the DHCP folder where
would I get a copy to rebuild? Can I copy the DHCP database from
the DHCP folder and place it there?

Thank you again for any information you can give me.

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

Hello Bob,

Don't do this. DHCP client service is needed for registration and
renewal of the records in DNS.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
confers
no rights.
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
I am new to Windows Server 2003 and have Static Addresses set up
on all of my servers. I have 3 DNS servers running Windows 2000
Server. The rest are all running Windows Server 2003 with Exchange
or other various applications. I have read everything I can get
my hands on regarding DHCP Client. I believe that I can disable
DHCP client on all servers where I am running Static IP addresses,
however can not find any information that confirms that as fact.

I am getting errors on all of these machines that might indicate a
corrupt database however, since these mahines in question are not
my DHCP server, and there is no databse in the directory, then I
just want to be sure that disabling the DHCP Client Service on
these machines will not have a negative impact on my network.

Thank you in advance for your review and assistance.

.