Re: Rebuilt Mirror Won't Boot

The boot.ini on the drive is the same as the floopy. I just verified it even
though it appears that I did not type it correctly in this post, mea culpa.
Also, from what I have read, since I am using multiple SCSI drives, and the
ARC path contains "multi" I do not need the ntbootdd.sys. If it was
required, I would not be able to boot from the floppy since it is not on the
floppy.

So, I am still at square one with a server that I can boot off a floppy yet
I cannot boot the server using the same boot.ini file on the C drive.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

"Dave K." <DaveK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Doh!

I went and just rebooted the server and here is the relevant information
BIOS - check
LSI Configuration Utility - check
Spins up SCSI LUNS - check
LSI Logic Corp MPT Boot ROM Success Intall - check
Broadcom NetXtreme Boot Agent - check
Press Ctrl + S to enter cfg menu (this is for the Broadcom card) - check
Hangs at this point

If I put the floppy in the server will go through all of the above noted
steps and right afer the "Press Ctrl + S to enter cfg menu (this is for
the
Broadcom card)" line, the floppy runs and the system boots. So it would
appear the problem is with the boot.ini file on the server. the boot.ini
on
the floppy is a copy of the original boot.ini before the rebuild of the
mirror

Here is the text from the floppy boot.ini file and I select "Boot Mirror
C":
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Floppy"
/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Boot Mirror C: - secondary
plex"

Here is the boot.ini file from the server:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003"
/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Boot Mirror C: - secondary
plex"

Since disk1 is the disk I used to create the new mirror with disk0, I have
changed the ARC path to point to disk1 for the Windows partition.

If there is anything else I forgot, please tell me and I will get the
information as quickly as I can.

Boot.ini should be the same on the floppy and on the hard disk.
You should also check if the file ntbootdd.sys exists both on the
floppy disk the hard disk.

  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: RedHat Linux 7.2 needed.
    ... drives replaced with current stuff, ... Unfortunately, it has a few problems, including a fan ... If you mean floppy only, I don't remember the last distribution that was ... Red Hat Linux 9 uses a different boot diskette layout than ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How can I flash the Bios with out a flopy drive?
    ... so buy a floppy drive cheapskate. ... absolute minimum of code to boot from a floppy and, maybe, display ... That whole area of USB bootability is somewhat fraught, ... but there are several approaches as to how you make such drives ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Changing Hardware Platform
    ... > driver structure then one finds that there are just a few IDE drivers. ... You can't expect PnP to solve your boot controller issue. ... Server 2003 at the moment much. ... >> can be lifted that way unless the controller, drives and Hotswap Chassis ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS 2003 UnResponsive after an Hour or so
    ... And if you boot into safe mode, does the Raid Storage Manager show the array as verifying. ... Even during the boot process there is a black screen saying both drives are "Healthy". ... So if I boot into the Windows OS and stop the Verify using the RAID Storage Manager software the server will run without freezing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)