Re: Prevent Mac user from accessing folder

"Femi" <fembo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to prevent a user who uses a Mac and a PC from accessing A
folder from her Mac?
My first thought would be no however...

If you give a user access (account + permissions on objects likes shares and
files with NTFS) then you cannot control what OS they use to exercise that
privilege.

With the proper software users can authenticate explicitly from machines
in other domains, or running arbitrary operating systems that might not
even be capable of being in a domain, e.g., DOS, Win9x, Unix/Linux,
Macintosh, etc.

You can filter out the IP of the MAC vs. the PCs if you can reliably
determine
the ranges, but that would be for EVERYONE, and might not be possible
if you use DHCP to assign those IPs (and wouldn't be totally secure anyway
as someone might just change their IP [with enough privilege] to the
permitted
range if they live on the same wire/subnet/broadcast-domain.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
http://www.LearnQuick.Com

  • Re: [opensuse] How to enforce IPs regardless of the clients setup.
    ... My current setup has multiple IP ranges where I use mac filtering to ... The same server will be the gateway to the Internet. ... What I am looking for is a way to enforce specific MAC Addresses to only ... Like I said above I have it locked down in DHCP, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Spoof ethernet MAC address
    ... mac addresses are multicast addresses (there are more than just the ... If you are referring to the multicast and locally administered ... were not issuing address ranges consecutively, ... OUIs used for the classic 3C509 NIC. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • [opensuse] How to enforce IPs regardless of the clients setup.
    ... My current setup has multiple IP ranges where I use mac filtering to ... The same server will be the gateway to the Internet. ... What I am looking for is a way to enforce specific MAC Addresses to only ... I have been reading through SuSEfirewall2 and haven't found anything ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Upload Options
    ... Will I still have to pay for a MAC address or can I "borrow" one from ... That is one of the available private _IP_ address ranges. ... "Probably the best operating system in the world is the ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Upload Options
    ... Will I still have to pay for a MAC address or can I "borrow" one from ... That is one of the available private _IP_ address ranges. ... Hmmm first you talk to IEEE to obtain either an OUI or IAB, ... Alternatively you can get an IAB which is a block of approx 4097 addresses. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)