Re: IIS 6.0

Either Host Headers, or separate IPs
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.co.uk

"Michael Reddick" <michaelr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:O0aBxeeqHHA.3456@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the reply Anthony...

But I do have question...

How does large web servers that have multiple sites keep them all
separated when they may all have different domain names?

"Anthony" <anthony.spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Michael,
You can't, which is why people try to avoid using other ports except for
Intranet applications or something that people link to automatically.
However you can probably achieve what you want by using host headers to
run two sites on the same IP address,
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
http://blogs.airdesk.com/airdesk

"Michael Reddick" <michaelr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Good Morning

I'm not sure if this is the correct newsgroup but I have a question.

I have a IIS server that has two websites configured. One is the default
(port 80) and the other is port 8088. I have a external DNS record that
point to something.something.com. How do I make the external DNS record
point all the way to the 8088 port.

If I type in something.something.com it take me to the port 80 website
and not the second website. I'm trying to avoid having to type in the
port 8088 if I'm away from the office. I would like for it to just
direct itself to that port.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

  • Re: IIS 6.0
    ... How does large web servers that have multiple sites keep them all separated ... If I type in something.something.com it take me to the port 80 website ...
  • Re: Proper Router Routing, Two IP addresses?
    ... If you wanted to make the SBS web services available to its domain users from outside the network on HTTP, port 80 and you also wanted to run a public web server then the only safe way would be to use two separate machines, isolated from each other, and you would have no option but to use two different IP addresses. ... The server's integrated NIC goes into the hub, and it's NIC card goes to the router. ... It's almost always web servers which people want more than one of, and it's perfectly possible to run multiple web servers on one machine, if a router is redirecting port 80 on different public addresses to different ports on an internal machine, or of course to different NICs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • AW: Secure those servers
    ... Subject: AW: Secure those servers ... > where it gets foggy for me) then another firewall with open ... > the web servers to talk to the other servers, ... the outer firewall should be configured to let through port 80 to the cache. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: What do I need to do?
    ... On March 4, 2004 04:08 am, Thomas E. Dukes wrote: ... so I can get www requests on both the visable and internal machine? ... To use both boxes as web servers, you probably need to set the incomint port ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: OpenSSH 3.4p1 Trouble on SCO 5.0.5?
    ... connections across the US so I can see 1 hop from Orlando to ... I neglected to indicate that the machine is behind a firewall and port ... that MUST be connected - eg mail servers and web servers. ... NIC would go to your business machines on a totally private network ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)