Re: How to find out who is using a file on the server

"Greg" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:efSmfK2YGHA.1192@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am working remotely and I want to take exclusive use of a file on our
Windows 2000 Server but at least one other person has it open.

What service or program do I use to determine who is using that file right
now. I am used to Netware, where I could go into ConsoleOne and see what
files are open by user or what users have a particular file open.

Does Windows have the same ability? I can't believe it doesn't.

Right click on My Computer, choose Manage. Go to Shared Folders in the left
tree, and then Open files. You'll see a list of files in the right hand pane
with all the details on who has them open, and you can close a connection to
a file if you need to.

Dan

  • Re: Cannot connect to the Internet
    ... My Windows 2000 pro PC is connected to the internet (Local Area ... Connection 2 Status icon shows "Connected" with a speed of 10.0 ... The master browser has received a server announcement from ... The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
  • Re: Cannot connect to the Internet
    ... My Windows 2000 pro PC is connected to the internet (Local Area ... Connection 2 Status icon shows "Connected" with a speed of 10..0 ... The master browser has received a server announcement from ... Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
  • Re: cant send or receive email and I am using vista
    ... There is no need to mess with your connection settings if your Internet ... By default Windows Mail will use the same ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off, ... The connection to the server has failed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • RE: Win 2K and Win XP connections via VPN - grr....!!
    ... > I understand that you have two remote client workstations, one is Windows ... logged in via VPN but cannot see any of the server netbios names (DNS ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #154
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... ISS RealSecure Server Sensor SSL Denial Of Service Vulnerabi... ... Roger Wilco Remote Server Side Buffer Overrun Vulnerability ... available for Microsoft Windows operating systems. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)