Re: R2 DFS Replication failing

Disabled the firewall and everything started magically working..

Where does that leave me..

BTW: Found out the RPC patch is this one :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908521
it came out march 6..

"Jabez Gan [MVP]" wrote:

No don't open that range of ports.

Leave that closed.

Also refer to:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/87b2da50-f5d4-471d-a103-6efde69580cd1033.mspx
(Network Ports Used by DFS)

Try disabling the firewall and see if you are still getting this error, so
you will know if it's a firewall issue or not.

--
Jabez Gan [MVP]
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server

"Rory Niland" <RoryNiland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Taken from
:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832017#XSLTH3140121121120121120120

Distributed File System
The Distributed File System (DFS) integrates disparate file shares that
are
located across a local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) into
single logical namespace.

System service name: DfsApplication protocol Protocol Ports
NetBIOS Datagram Service UDP 138
NetBIOS Session Service TCP 139
LDAP Server TCP 389
LDAP Server UDP 389
SMB TCP 445
RPC TCP 135
Randomly allocated high TCP ports TCP random port number between 1024 -
65534

Seems to suggest I open up ports 1024 - 65534 !?

Windows firewall doesn't support port ranges .. do I have to disable the
firewall ?

"Rory Niland" wrote:

ok I've had a look at our domain policy for windows firewall for
fileservers
and

File and print sharing is enabled with the following ports open :

UDP 137
UDP 138
TCP 139
TCP 445

Remote desktop is enabled with

TCP 3389

And I've just enabled RPC

TCP 135

Now I no longer get the error "The RPC hotfix is not installed on this
server." in the diagnostic report. However I now get "Cannot retrieve
version
vectors from this member."

I must need to open other ports .. anyone know which ones?

"Rory Niland" wrote:

Everything is up to date .. according to windows update.

I think it may be the fact that I've enabled windows firewall on my
firewall
.. what ports do I need to open to allow DFS replication ?

"Jabez Gan [MVP]" wrote:

Please go to www.windowsupdate.com and see if there's any available
hotfix.

Also provide some details of your system configuration.

--
Jabez Gan [MVP]
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server
http://www.blizhosting.com
MSBLOG: http://msblog.resdev.net

"Rory Niland" <RoryNiland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
When I run a report it says "The RPC hotfix is not installed on
this
server."

Can anyone help with the paticular hotfix this message is referring
to ?

  • RE: IM Programs
    ... want to block these ports. ... you don't need an explicit deny for the other ports. ... Access-list 101 deny any tcp any any eq 5000 ... >Now, when applying these to your firewall, make sure the number ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Cox is blocking port 135 - off topic
    ... > specifically configured RPC port on the remote ... For intranet environments, these ports are ... > hostile environments, such as the Internet. ... > used on the internet and you need a firewall to block ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Windows Firewall on Domain Controllers
    ... confgured for all the AD ports and you do some voodoo with RPC ports. ... Don't use firewall on a DC, use a diferent machine, if you can don't join ... Global Catalog Server TCP 3269 ...
  • Re: Windows Firewall on Domain Controllers
    ... Are you talking about Windows 2003 or Windows XP? ... confgured for all the AD ports and you do some voodoo with RPC ports. ... Don't use firewall on a DC, use a diferent machine, if you can don't join ... Global Catalog Server TCP 3269 ...
  • Re: NFS through firewall
    ... James Pifer wrote: ... See TCP scan above. ... predict from a firewall perspective. ... packets of the portmap traffic so many firewalls have RPC support. ...
    (Fedora)