Re: Hosts file ignored

That article quite clearly states that it does NOT apply to Server 2003.
_______________________________________
The Grim Reaper

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Try editing the registry to change NodeType to h-node;
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> <trivers1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I have a really interesting problem with my hosts file. Although I
>> can't be certain as to the actual cause, I am relatively sure that it
>> had something to do with MSN Messenger's 7.5 update and its built-in
>> connection troubleshooter. Let me outline the specifics of the problem
>> to shed some more light on the situation.
>>
>> I am currently running Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a
>> development system on my office. I have had MSN Messenger installed on
>> it for some time and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. Just the
>> other day, I logged in and was notified that the 7.5 update was
>> available so I dutifully upgraded and went about my business. The
>> following day when I logged in, MSN Messenger complained at startup
>> that it couldn't connect to the Internet even though Outlook Express,
>> FireFox, several PuTTY sessions, and a number of VPN connections were
>> functioning properly. This has happened before so I thought nothing of
>> allowing MSN Messenger to run its troubleshooter and adjust its
>> settings. Little did I know that afterwards I would be unable to use
>> any of the entries I have made to the server's hosts file.
>>
>> I made sure to Google extensively to see if there was anything I could
>> try other than the obvious, but have been unable to find a solution.
>> Here is what I have done so far:
>>
>> (1) I have replaced the hosts file with an archived copy, a copy that
>> works on another machine, as well as renamed it to hosts.tmp. After
>> each step, I performed "ipconfig /flushdns" and "ipconfig /displaydns"
>> and this was the result each time:
>>
>> C:\>ipconfig /flushdns
>>
>> Windows IP Configuration
>>
>> Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
>>
>> C:\>ipconfig /displaydns
>>
>> Windows IP Configuration
>>
>> Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache.
>>
>> (2) I have verified that the DataBasePath registry key at
>> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
>> has the value:
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
>>
>> (3) I am not running a DNS server on my system. When I try to access
>> Administrative Tools -> DNS and connect to the system, I get the
>> message:
>>
>> "The server is unavailable."
>>
>> (4) I have tried disabling the DNS Client service and repeating step #1
>> above and get the same outcome.
>>
>> (5) I can ping IP addresses without any problem, both on the LAN and on
>> the Internet. I can also resolve registered Internet domain names
>> without incident using the two DNS servers provided by my ISP.
>>
>> (6) I am able to ping localhost even without a valid hosts file in
>> place. This is the output from that command:
>>
>> C:\>ping localhost

> [...]

  • Re: Cant see out to .co.uk from inside my .local domain (forward l
    ... Well I removed the entry from my hosts file and issued a ping command to both ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... Indeed is it even a DNS issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: cant configure networking for static IP address
    ... I test the network configuration: ... before doing this first ping the first hop - the default gateway from ... I can't ping the DNS server ... they might only allow dns packets to these ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: IE6 and slow domain resolution
    ... Another thing to try is to locate your HOSTS file (no extension). ... blocking your DNS server, or if it is extensively long (could cause slow dns ... > Still get the same 7-10 second delay with IE6. ...
  • Re: Spyware blocking with HOSTS file on DNS server
    ... Spyware blocking with HOSTS file on DNS server ... > names in HOSTS file format that resolve them to loopback. ... Instead our proxy server performs all name ... > lists that are well maintained. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Cannot connect to internet via other PC
    ... The problem is that one of them cannot connect to the internet at all ... DNS Server = 192.168.0.1 or your ISP's DNS server ... ping 192.168.0.1 ... All tests are successful except when I ping a website such as ...