Re: How to make new USB devices not use the next available physical drive letter in XP?

well of course I can do that, but the user does not have local admin rights.
Right now I have to modify each machine manually. What a pain

"Scott Napolitan [MSFT]" <scottnap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
|>Yikes! Well as ugly as this is I'm afraid that there will most likely
|>not be a fix for this until Longhorn. It seems to pop up mostly on Dell
|>hardware but it's not been proven to be unique to Dell so blaming them
|>isn't really fair. It's a bug, plain and simple. The workaround right
|>now is
|>
|>1. Click Start on the taskbar, then click "Run" and type diskmgmt.msc
|>and Enter to open the "Disk Management" console.
|>

|>3. In the list of drives in the right pane, right-click the Removable
|> Device and then click "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
|>
|>4. Click Change, and in the drop-down box, specify a drive letter for
|> the Removable Device, choosing one that is not assigned to the mapped
|> network drives.
|>
|>5. Click OK, and then click OK again.
|>
|>Sorry, it's weak I realize.

  • Re: Change Drive Letters
    ... on the bottom rt pane - rt click on the E: CDROM and select "Change drive letter ... I had added a new HDD after installing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: loss of seeing D: Drive after upgrade from ME to XP
    ... Right click My Computer, select Manage, Disk Managment. ... Select Change Drive Letter and Paths. ... > recoginze the ME file system on XP? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant get to a USB memory stick.
    ... To open Disk Management: ... Right-click the volume whose drive letter you want to change, ... click Change Drive Letter and Paths. ... And - I am the administrator! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant get to a USB memory stick.
    ... To open Disk Management: ... Right-click the volume whose drive letter you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths. ... to restrictions in effect on this computer.Please contact your system administrator". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fixing Drive Letter allocation
    ... change drive letter. ... I had the following drive letter allocation: ... > Primary master - Drive C ... > Secondary Slave - Drive D ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)