Re: Time Synchronization without a Domain

From: Christos Kritikos (ChristosKritikos_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:23:03 -0800

okay gotcha! so here is one last question. Article 216734 sayd that the
registry key "NtpServer" is a "placeholder for a space-delimited list of
peers from which your computer obtains time stamps". However the Microsoft
Document http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc says that
"NtpServer" can only have ONE server entry in it. Which one is it?

thanks & Happy New Year!
christos

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> If you are asking if you have to do Chris Dove's suggestion, I don't think
> you do since your second question hits the mark dead on. If the service is
> running, the time service will work out a schedule that is appropriate for
> whatever type of drift the time service is seeing.
>

> "Christos Kritikos" <ChristosKritikos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:E12665C5-D95A-45ED-B1C9-60BA17EE86B7@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Hi, thanks for all the info. Is there a way to set this up a service so
> > that
> > it syncs automatically? Isn't this what is supposed to happen if the
> > 'Windows
> > Time' service is running? thanks! -ck
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> You would have to do this manually. For the windows 2k platform, open a
> >> command prompt and type:
> >>
> >> net time /setsntp:<IP address of authorative time server>
> >>
> >> net stop w32time
> >>
> >> <optional> w32tm /v /once
> >>
> >> net start w32time
> >>
> >> /neo
> >>
> >> ps - the <optional> one is if you want to get a warm fuzzy to make sure
> >> that
> >> the box is checking in with your internal time server. the net
> >> stop/start
> >> commands are going to stop/start the Windows Time service so the /setsntp
> >> command can take effect.
> >>
> >> "Christos Kritikos" <ChristosKritikos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:DB1465A9-7A72-4A44-8A95-F6D87AA55FB3@microsoft.com...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Controlling Source for Windows Time?
    ... On the NtpServer, it should have a value of time.windows.com,0x1 ... On the Type, it should be NT5DS ... Restart the time service and see if that works. ...
  • Re: Synchronizing Time
    ... Configuring the Time Service: NtpServer and SpecialPollInterval ... W. eWatson wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Questions regarding configuring SBS to use and external time clock.
    ... I have those lines in a batch file, and run it if/when the time service needs a kick in the pants. ... This should take care of everything, including populating the "peers" with the time servers from the NTP pool. ... Configuring the Windows Time service to use an external time source ... You must append,0x1 to the end of each DNS name. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)