Re: DNS: high CPU, no access, UDP problems?

On Jun 2, 10:52 pm, Kip <guy.landing...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 1, 2:13 am, "Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]"

<ace...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2010 11:39:38 -0700 (PDT), Kip

<guy.landing...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You are welcome. We are getting closer to straightening this out.

For RRAS, make sure it's also disabled in the registry:

=====
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Value Name: IPEnableRouter
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0

Refresh the Registry, then reboot the machine. That should take care
of it.
=====

I will do this next, thanks.

As for the other question regarding the access point, and if I
understand you correctly, it is an access point, or is it a true
router/wireless router?

It was originally a wireless router but I have replaced the factory-
supplied firmware with an Open Source alternative, DD-WRT (http://
www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT)  The reason I did that
was because the original firmware did not provide a wireless bridge
mode, while DD-WRT does.  As far as it being an access point, I've
found differing opinions about the definitions of these terms.  There
seems to be agreement that "wireless bridge" is equivalent to "access
point in client-mode", if that helps.

Reason I ask, if it is a wireless router that you're using it for the
sole purpose of a router, such as a Linksys, I set them up by plugging
a LAN port (not the WAN port) into the main switch. This way, an IP
address is provided by the DHCP server on the company network.
Essentially, this is 'bridged' to the main network. Some refer to it
as 'corporate mode.'  Otherwise, it will be behind its own NAT giving
it's own IP address from it's own pool behind in its NAT network,
which in that case, will cause AD communication problems, but I don't
think that's the case here.

My (coarse) understanding of how the wireless bridge works is that it
functions basically as a switch, except that it "knows" when packets
need to cross the bridge and when they don't.  I'm afraid I'm not
clear on how what you've said above maps to that.

Just a guess...
Does that router have the DNS server in qusetion, as it's DNS address?

That I do not know, but will of course check.

Does that client machine have the wireless set as its DNS address? It
may be trying to "proxy" requests to it. If so, set the client address
to the DNS server itself, and remove the address from the wireless
router, and see what happens.

I will check all this out as you've suggested.

Ace

I'll suppress the urge to keep thanking you, but will say: Have a
wonderful Memorial Day weekend...

Hi Kip,

We had a nice Memorial Day  Weekend, including a couple nights of food
and drink among friends and family. I hope you had a nice one, too.

I think we are both on the same wavelength regarding the wireless
definitions. What I did plugging a wireless router into the LAN ports
does the same thing. It acts as a wireless bridge. Now if you
installed the DD-WRT software to do the same thing, that is pluggin in
the WAN port into the office network switch (and not what I did by
plugging a LAN port into the office network switch), and setting up
the DD-WRT software to "bridge," it's really doing the same exact
thing. Think about it... :-)

Now maybe, and JUST maybe, the DD-WRT bridging feature *may* be(and I
stress *may*) blocking something. Just a thought. Unbridge it and plug
it in as I described, and see if it works.

And yes, please do set the internal DNS addresses in DD-WRT.

Ace- Hide quoted text -

Ace,

Want to thank you again for your continued efforts to get me
straightened out.
Unfortunately this issue has to go on a back burner for a while, my
"real" job is
taking up all of my time at present.

When I can get back to this I'll post anything else I find.

Thanks again, Cheers!!!- Hide quoted text -

More info:

I checked the secondary router - it did have a DNS server function in
it which
was enabled...I disabled that. I also checked to make sure it's own
DNS setting
pointed to my DC...it does.

As far as "plugging in" the secondary router to the main switch...I
may not be
following you exactly, but the setup is that the main router is on a
different floor
of the building. My understanding is that the connection between the
second
router (the "bridge") and the main router is wireless.

So far I've had no luck from any of these changes...the DNS server
continues
to gobble CPU on the DC when I start it.

I was considering picking up a couple of inexpensive USB wireless
adapters and
trying them with the two bridged machines (the DC and one client),
i.e. take the
bridging router out of the equation completely.

I'll post results...thanks.
.