Re: Non authoritative domain on Windows Server 2003

Hi

You could create a zone called "hostname.domainname.com" and then within
that zone create a blank host A record (same as parent) pointing to the
relevant internal IP

Then your server would only be authorative for the zone "hostname.domainname.
com"and any records within that zone (such as the same as parent host record
you need)

Only drawback to this is you have to create a separate DNS zone for each host
and a same as parent record but it works

Regards

Simon

Chino wrote:
Hi
If I understand you correctly you want that your internal DNS server
resolve your public domain to the private IPAddress, correct?
If yes all you have to do is to create an
Primary Zone, and create the records that point to the private internal Ip
address of your Domain.

Yes, this is what I want to do.
If I create a primary zone with one record for each server pointing to the
private IP address, will my DNS announce itself as authoritative to other
DNSs in Internet for this public domain?
I don't want to do that, because the public domain is owned by our provider
and it must remain the same.
Please confirm, and thank you very much!

  • Re: Need Some Help Adding A Video Server
    ... All of this is only relevant on your local LAN. ... Public Internet or having people on the Internet get to your Servers ... In that case you need to create a second Zone in your DNS that matches your ... The Records only care about the host portion ...
  • Re: AD DNS naming
    ... my e-mail and Site Internet." ... infrastructure (mostly with respect to DNS and VPN). ... If you do not select this option and go with scenario 2 ... Each DNS zone is authoritative for the zone of that ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: How many Global Catalog Servers are needed?
    ... make for an AD DNS FQDN domain name, ... external Internet you need scenario 1, although it is the most DNS-intensive ... Each DNS zone is authoritative for the zone of that name so ...
  • Re: DNS domain name same as AD domain
    ... Or should I change the DNS domain first to something else? ... For any host name that you wish to have access from both your internal network and from the external Internet you need scenario 1, although it is the most DNS-intensive over time. ... Each DNS zone is authoritative for the zone of that name so therefore the external DNS zone and internal AD/DNS zone will NOT replicate with each other thereby prevent internal company records to be visible to the outside Internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: .com versus.local
    ... DNS and public names on the internet etc but I have never had someone ... All DNS entries are help at the ISP. ... external Internet you need scenario 1, although it is the most DNS-intensive ... Each DNS zone is authoritative for the zone of that name so ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)