DNS client resolver bug in Windows Server 2003?

DNS client resolver bug in Windows Server 2003?
===================================

Background:
------------

One AD forest
One AD tree
Two AD domains
One AD domain is a child (sub) of the other.

I don't wan't to post proprietary details here, so let's call these domains:

domain.com
subdomain.domain.com

I have about 300 servers in the environment.
It's a mixture of 2000 and 2003 servers.

About 240 servers belong to the "domain.com" domain.
About 60 servers belong to the "subdomain.domain.com" domain.

Of those 60 servers in the "subdomain.domain.com" domain, a little less than
half (25) are 2003 and the rest are 2000.

Issue:
------

I have no name resolution problems on anything that is a member of the
"domain.com" domain - regardless of whether or not those servers are 2000 or
2003.

The 2000 servers that are members of the "subdomain.domain.com" domain, only
are resolving everything properly - no problems.

However the *2003* servers that are members of the "subdomain.domain.com"
domain are having issues resolving short (unqualified) hostnames for servers
that belong to the "domain.com" domain.

Testing name resolution from these 2003 servers using NSLOOKUP resolves
everything fine.
However, testing name resolution from these 2003 servers using PING gives
back "could not find host".
Looking at the client resolver cache with IPCONIFIG /DISPLAYDNS gives back
that the host just tried "name does not exist".

So, I'm ONLY having this problem on my 2003 servers, not any 2000 servers
that are part of the same sub-domain, point to the same internal DNS servers
(in the same order), and use the same DNS suffix search settings.

I've tried setting DNS suffix search settings both explicity (putting both
domains in the "Append these suffixes (in this order)", and alternatively by
instead selecting "Append primary and connection specific suffixes" and
selecting the "Append parent DNS suffxes" option.

No matter what I do in that DNS screen, I have issues resolving stuff on
"domain.com" domain from the 2003 servers (ONLY) on the
"subdomain.domain.com" domain. Again, works fine from my 2000 servers on the
same domain, using the same DNS servers, accessing the same hosts.

Any ideas?
Is there a hot-fix for this?

.