Re: Strange DNS Issue

Hi

Internal DNS clients have to point to the internal DNS that can resolve the
AD domain. You should not have any external (read ISP) DNS servers configured
on clients (servers are clients too). On the server there should be a
forwarder to your ISP or you use root hints

Have you checked that the forwarder configured correctly?

The fact that you can sometimes ping a client by name sometimes not....from
that i assume you can always ping by IP

Are all clients registered correctly in DNS, have you tried stuff like
clearing the cache on both servers and clients

An IPCONFIG/ALL from both client and server would help

Good luck

Regards

--
Simon Whyley
MCP XP,2Kpro

  • Re: Network connections gets disconnected
    ... I have tried different brand firewall router also yesterday. ... server IP as the DNS Server but still having same problem.... ... AD clients MUST point to the DNS ... Do not put your ISP's DNS server *anywhere* on an AD client. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Can Internet Computers see my private address DNS server?
    ... I have not placed any of our computers in the NAT router's DMZ. ... It is my intent, eventually, to turn the client with the Win Server 2003 ... and there are 6 clients. ... address is entered in the Alternate DNS server: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: [opensuse] what does 127.0.1.1 mean?
    ... This is where the Samba guys have changed the bind innards. ... It has its own built in KDC and LDAP server. ... It already has its own working DNS server but ironically it only works for forward ddns at the moment. ... We can however show that the clients have an IP before doing a domain logon as they can ping the server on bot IP and fqdn (because the server is in their etc/hosts file. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Can Internet Computers see my private address DNS server?
    ... To let your DNS server resolve these external names I typically just ... I would recommend using your 2003 server to perform your DHCP. ... and there are 6 clients. ... In the DNS server dialog box, I have entered my Internet Service ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Two domains on one physical LAN
    ... Can anybody think of any issues with having 2 separate Win2003 server ... Domain 1 has 3 XP clients. ... static addresses with this domain controller set as their DNS server. ...