DNS Architecture

From: Nicholas S. Corduan (NcCorduan_at_tayloru.edu)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:27:47 -0700

I have a question about the DNS architecture we have at
our university. It's been setup this way for longer than
I've been working here, but we're having some issues and
so I thought I would ask for folks' opinions on this
architecture:

We have two sites in our Acitve Directory Domain. Each
site has one global catalog server, which is the primary
DNS for that site. Our larger site also has a couple of
secondary DNS servers for our zone. Each site also has
something we've been calling our, "external DNS," the
only records of which are also for our own zone, but as
the outside world sees them.

Here's the heart of my question: we have internal
machines looking at and internal DNS servers forwarding
to these "external DNS" servers. Are we gaining anything
from that? As near as I can tell, these servers appear
to be our presence in the external DNS name space, and
therefore not of substantial help for internal machines,
but I realize there might be another function of
an "external DNS" that I'm missing.

Any opinions on this architecture? Thanks much,

NickC---

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help SMPT Errors
    ... FAIL Reverse DNS entries for MX records ERROR: The IP of one or more of your ... it may mean that your DNS servers did not respond fast enough). ... INFO NS records at parent servers Your NS records at the parent servers ... PASS Parent nameservers have your nameservers listed OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Windows 2000 logon process
    ... Paul Williams ... when clients are accessing the GPO stored in SYSVOL during logon. ... PW>> Sound's like - that's a combination of DNS and Dfs client pointing ... Global Catalogue servers? ...
  • Re: Replication issues
    ... I wanted to say Zone Transfers not Zone Forwarding. ... on 2 servers out of 4 DNS servers. ... DNS and 2003 DNS and how to set up Conditional Forwarding. ...
  • Re: Howto refresh IIS 6 Application pool identity credential info
    ... You already have 80% of the work setup (DNS Aliases and HostHeaders) on the ... domain accounts (one for each layer) should be sufficient. ... The Application Servers are load balanced clustered, ... as the account name and SPN alias is correctly defined on both nodes. ...
  • Re: ad and dns setup
    ... domain It gave me 2 errors, no dns servers have dns records for this dc ... error no logon servers.. ... Make sure that the _msdcs zone exists and the scope is set to ... MCSE, MVP Directory Services ...