Re: DNS on multihomed server

From: Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP] (admin_at_nospam.WFTX.US)
Date: 04/28/04

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:27:32 -0500

In news:532801c42cbc$2347ac30$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Steve <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hope someone here can help . . .
>
> I'm running Windows 2003 on a multihomed server. One NIC
> is connected to public network and other is on private
> network. DNS is installed and I want it to resolve on
> public network but not the private. Through DNS
> properties I have bound the DNS service to the public IP
> address only. When I run the TEST from the Monitor tab
> (in DNS properties), both tests fail. If I configure DNS
> on both public and private IPs the Tests pass and if I
> disable the private NIC they pass. Unfortunately I can't
> keep the private NIC disabled nor do I want to bind DNS
> to the private network for security reasons.

Security reasons? What possible security problems can you have binding to
the private network?
You are much more vulnerable binding to the public NIC.

Besides, if this is AD domain you need DNS to listen on the internal NIC
that has file sharing enabled, giving private address.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

  • Re: Windows 2K3 and Virtual Server 2005 guests NAT problem
    ... these machines are not able to connect to our ... internal network. ... If you want to have the two or three VMs on a private ... If you have configured DNS on the host and have set your vms to use this ...
  • Re: Subnet problem.
    ... I do understand that it should be changed to any private ip range. ... DNS or NetBIOS. ... own and they are connected to the Internet. ... ip range of 198.x.x.x on their network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: DNS on multihomed server
    ... >> is connected to public network and other is on private ... >> public network but not the private. ... Through DNS ... >> to the private network for security reasons. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: DNS on multihomed server
    ... >> is connected to public network and other is on private ... >> public network but not the private. ... Through DNS ... >> to the private network for security reasons. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: reverse DNS resolution...
    ... We're trying to get reverse DNS resolution for a block of IPs ... We've had the 10.x network working great at the office ... You will have to set up local DNS configuration for private ... bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC ...
    (freebsd-questions)