Re: Issue

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 04/03/04

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:57:56 -0700

Dave,

I might be seeing what is happening here even though I am
unfamiliar with this VPN product. It sounds to me that the
VPN client software they are having you use is not able to
receive the WINS address info from the VPN server (or the
VPN server does not provide it). Whether their VPN client
will reflect to the user its Tcp/Ip stack config, i.e. with such
as nbstat, or not, may be part of the issue here.
With the MS client side VPN connectoid it is possible to
sepecify Wins and Dns server IPs or whether to accept the
ones provided by the VPN server. Evidently their product
does not offer this option ??

After you have edited in the lines to the Lmhosts file and
executed nbtstat -R then when you use nbtstat -c you should
see the names in the cache. If not, make sure that the Lmhosts
file did get stored with no file extension in drivers\etc directory.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA
"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The SBS 2003 Server is the DC for the domain and I am
> running wins.  This setup works great when I am using the
> hardware solution (Watchguard Firebox 1000 and their SOHO
> 6tc).
>
> When I use the muvpn software client for creating a VPN
> Watchguard suggests that I change the lmhosts at the
> client.  This will allow be to sign-on to the domain when
> I establish this software vpn.
>
> When I initially start-up the client remotely I was
> expecting lmhosts to load-up in memory.  When I establish
> the vpn I would then be able to connect to the domain.
> When I look at the cache memory I don't see this
> configuration loaded.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ISA2004 kills VPN outbound
    ... Can you please tell me some information about the remote VPN Server? ... Do you have firewall client installed? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: ISA2004 kills VPN outbound
    ... I have the same problem connecting to several different VPN servers. ... > it use a hardware router or a windows-based computer to be its VPN Server? ... > connection will fail in some cases when a hardware firewall resides in the ... > |> FW client and configure the client as a SecureNAT client. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: VPN server (hardware) and VPN client (Software) - both with changing IP. Can it be?
    ... How many clients will be using the VPN functionality simultanesously? ... >to have VPN server as a hardware box and client could be software. ... >For server we have registered with dyndns.org, so we have constant dns name ... what VPN server box would you recommend to buy? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: VPN Routing Problem
    ... to my company's LAN using Kerio Winroute Firewall 6 and the VPN server and client that comes with it. ... resolve to 172.16.200.0 range ip addresses. ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: RAS/VPN routing on client?
    ... I've set up a VPN Server and Client, ... On the client side the router has internal address 192.168.178.1 ... the client is that all internet traffic is routed over the VPN, ...