Re: Issue

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 04/03/04

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:57:56 -0700

Dave,

I might be seeing what is happening here even though I am
unfamiliar with this VPN product. It sounds to me that the
VPN client software they are having you use is not able to
receive the WINS address info from the VPN server (or the
VPN server does not provide it). Whether their VPN client
will reflect to the user its Tcp/Ip stack config, i.e. with such
as nbstat, or not, may be part of the issue here.
With the MS client side VPN connectoid it is possible to
sepecify Wins and Dns server IPs or whether to accept the
ones provided by the VPN server. Evidently their product
does not offer this option ??

After you have edited in the lines to the Lmhosts file and
executed nbtstat -R then when you use nbtstat -c you should
see the names in the cache. If not, make sure that the Lmhosts
file did get stored with no file extension in drivers\etc directory.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA