Re: How to properly remove cluster service in Windows 2000

Ven,

Apparently you're using 2000 Datacenter edition then as W2K does not support
a 3-node cluster without the Datacenter version of the O/S.

My procedure would be to stop cluster service on all nodes. Use Add/Remove
programs to remove cluster service on all nodes. Power off Node2 &
Node3...reboot Node1. When Node1 comes back online, format the disk that was
previously used as the quorum disk...or at a minimum, delete the \MSCS
folder.

Once that's complete, re-install MSCS on Node1 then join the other nodes
into the cluster.

Regards,
John

"Ven" <Ven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply Ryan,
> But I have no intention of upgrading my system to W2K3. I just want to
> remove the clustering portion on all three nodes and start fresh.
>
> "Ryan Sokolowski [MVP - Avanade]" wrote:
>
> > Try these steps:
> >
> > To uninstall clustering, upgrade the operating system, and reinstall
> > clustering
> > 1.. Start with both Node 1 and Node 2 running the Cluster service.
> > 2.. If you have a SCSI bus, review the appropriate instructions for
making
> > sure that the SCSI bus is terminated, or that Y-cables or TriLink cables
are
> > in place. These instructions are in Cluster Administrator Help in
Windows NT
> [...]
> > that the upgrade was successful.
> > 6.. If you have a SCSI bus, on Node 1, follow the appropriate
instructions
> > to make sure the SCSI bus is terminated, or that Y-cables or TriLink
cables
> > are in place.
> > 7.. Unless your method of SCSI bus termination does not allow you to
turn
> > the node completely off, turn off Node 1.
> > Be sure that Node 2 is the only functioning node at this point, and
that
> > it remains the only functioning node until you have upgraded it and have
> > started the Cluster service again. This prevents corruption of the
cluster
> > disks.
> >
> > 8.. In the same way that you stopped the Cluster service on Node 1,
stop
> > it on Node 2.
> > 9.. On Node 2, uninstall Microsoft Cluster Server.
> > At this point, the cluster that had been running on Node 1 and Node 2
no
> > longer exists.
> >
> > 10.. On Node 2, upgrade the operating system and perform validation
tests.
> > 11.. On Node 2, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to install
the
> > Cluster service, and then form a new cluster that uses the same name as
the
> > old cluster.
> > 12.. Using Cluster Administrator, add cluster resources to your new
> > cluster.
> > By doing this, you are checking to see that the clustering software is
> > working, which means it is allowing only one node to access the cluster
> > disks at a given time. This software prevents corruption of the cluster
> > disks.
> >
> > 13.. Turn on Node 1 again.
> > 14.. On Node 1, use Add/Remove Programs to install the Cluster
service,
> > and join the cluster formed by Node 2.
> > 15.. If necessary, reinstall applications that were installed on the
> > cluster.
> > Important
> >
> > a.. During times when the Cluster service is not installed and running
on
> > all nodes, make sure that only one node is functioning and can access
the
> > cluster disks. On that one node, install and start the Cluster service
> > before starting other nodes. This prevents corruption of the cluster
disks.

> > If you really meant W2K3, then:
> >
> > 1. Start Cluster Administrator (CluAdmin.exe).
> > 2. Right-click the node, and then click Stop the Cluster service.
> >
> > Note: Do not perform this step if this server is the last node in
the
> > cluster.
> > 3. Right-click the node, and then click Evict Node.
> >
> > This step returns the cluster to its original unconfigured state.
You
> > can re-add it later to the same or to a different cluster.
> > If you cannot start the Cluster service, or if you have trouble removing
the
> > node, you can manually unconfigure the Cluster service: 1. Run the
Cmd.exe
> > program to open a command prompt.
> > 2. At the command prompt, type cluster node nodename
/forcecleanup,
> > and then press ENTER.
> >
> > Note: If the Cluster service does not exist in the registry, the
> > command does not respond. To create a place holder, type the following
line
> > at the command line, and then press ENTER:
> > sc create clussvc
> >

> > --
> > Ryan Sokolowski
> > MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
> > MCSE, CCNA, CCDA, BCFP
> > Avanade
> > http://www.Avanade.com
> >
> > "A troubleshooter's best tool is the Event Viewer and understanding the
> > events and messages contained therein."

rights.

> > "Ven" <Ven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > It there a document or KB Article on step by step to properly remove
> > > clustering on W2K? I have a 3 node cluster system that I need to
> > > re-configure
> > > the cluster. Its just giving me a headache so I decided to start fresh
on
> > > clustering not the OS.
> > >
> > > Do I have to move the resources on one node, then evict the other two?
> > > Then,
> > > remove the cluster service component?

  • Re: Cluster crashed, need recovery advice
    ... When you "Shut down cluster service" you should also make sure that you ... - Remove those 2 fail disks from the Cluster Config. ... - Startup the first cluster node without enabling the cluster service ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)
  • Re: Cluster Service
    ... MVP - Windows Server - Clustering ... > As long as one node of the cluster is running the cluster service and all ... >> disks owned by another node of the cluster. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
  • Re: SQL 2000 on Windows 2000 Cluster - Removal!
    ... If you take out the cluster, those disks are still ... > The cleanest way to do this would be to uninstall SQL Server (leave the data ... can I simply disable the cluster service and start SQL as ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Cluster crashed, need recovery advice
    ... I was aware of the Cluster Disk Driver, but I was uncertain of the ... the driver and the cluster service are both disabled. ... >- Remove those 2 fail disks from the Cluster Config. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)
  • Re: Unexpexted Cluster Switch (due error 5 from clusterlog)
    ... Check and make sure the cluster service account has both the 'backup files and directories' and 'restore files and directories' user rights. ... If it was scanning a quorum file at the time of a checkpoint, that may explain the error 5. ... Event Source: ClusSvc ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)