"There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper"???

From: Peter Steele (psteele_at_z-force.com)
Date: 07/03/04

    Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:03:00 -0700

    I used the cluster command to attempt to remove the first node of a cluster,
    using this:

        cluster node mynode1 /force

    That much worked okay and the Cluster Administrator showed that the node had
    been taken offline. It's resources had automatically been assumed but node
    2. I then tried

        cluster node mynode1 /evict

    and got the error below:

    >cluster node clu1 /evict
    System error 1753 has occurred (0x000006d9).
    There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

    Shortly after this the cluster went offline completely and it doesn't look
    like it will recover by itself.

    Is it incorrect to remove the first node of a cluster? I assume not since
    the node could of course crash and another node would have to assume its
    role. So what happened here?