Re: Problem joining Windows domain from remote VPN/PPTP box

Hello Alexander,

Please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS and the problem machine.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi guys.

I did not find any acceptable solutions of this problem for me, though
similar scenarios were discussed here, so I wanted to ask for help in
solving the problem.

The situation:

1. There exists a DC Win 2003 Small Business Server box (also a VPN
dialin
server)
2. There exists a firewall (cisco ASA 5505) between client and server
configured to do PPTP passthrough/NAT
3. Remote box (Windows 2003 Server) is connecting using PPTP to the
remote
server OK with administrator rights (configured via Routing and Remote
Access, persistent connection)
4. DNS/WINS server IP addresses are configured to query server (DC)
box
5. LAN addresses for server and client hosts are in different networks
6. On client there exists static route for remote network that points
configured VPN interface
Now, the problem:

I need to join the client box to remote Windows domain via this VPN
PPTP connection. However, when I am trying to do so, Windows displays
the following message:

--- [cut] ---

The domain name ABC might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then
the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS
configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource
record used to locate a domain controller for domain ABC:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ABC

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

dcsbs.abc

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its
IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the
network or are not running.

-- [cut] --

According to the message, the client box finds the DC OK (it even gets
its DNS name (dcsbs.abc) but further joining fails.

Now, more precise details:

1. I CAN ping the DC by name OK
2. I CAN browse remote network resources by name (it asks me
username/password and after providing them I can see the shares)
3. Playing with hosts/lmhosts files did not do the trick
Now, why I can not join the remote box into domain? Is it possible at
all for VPN PPTP client?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

  • [Full-Disclosure] R: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 3, Issue 42
    ... Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 3, Issue 42 ... SD Server 4.0.70 Directory Traversal Bug ... Arkeia Network Backup Client Remote Access ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: Remote connectivity problems
    ... do you mean you have added a remote client to SBS ... If you have hardware VPN tunnel setup using Linksys or others, ... In this scenario you have to configure the SBS Server computer to enable ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Terminal Services Remote Control
    ... You don't need the Remote Desktop Client on the server, ... how do I get Remote Control ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps)
  • Re: RWW Disconnecting
    ... I have been connected from a remote site for about 3 ... DHCP server and even a wireless access ... the key codes to for Internet access. ... Client Workstations} ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RWW Disconnecting
    ... Server to test the issue. ... I understand that remote client encounts following error message when RWW ... I strongly suggest that we rerun the Configure E-mail and Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)