Re: Setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain Controller

Officially it is not the best practice.

Unofficially it works just fine everytime I have tried it.

Someone commented that it would be immune to some degree to IP related
problems because 127.0.0.1 would always point to itself no matter
what,...and I agree with that.

But "officially" it is not considered best practice,...but I don't know why.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"Kent" <Kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a
Domain
Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller
and
DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto
configure
DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1

So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?

TQ

  • Re: Setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain Controller
    ... The server is built as a Domain Controller ... DNS server. ... the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1 ... So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to ...
  • Re: Setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain Controller
    ... The server is built as a Domain Controller and DNS server. ... By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto configure DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1 ... So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS? ...
  • Re: 2 dns servers after migration from windows 2000 to 2003
    ... You can have more than one dns server ... When you run nslookup do both dns servers show as preferred dns ... netdiag and dcdiag on the domain controller to see if any problems are found ... domain members after it has been installed on them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • RE: Domain Controller Best Practice
    ... Microsoft Best practice is to assign users to Global Group, ... Microsoft has created Domain Local Groups. ... The problem with using a Domain Controller as a file server is you are ... you can no longer use permission assignment best practice. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Domain user accounts are jumbled like S-1-5-21-1844237516-19
    ... Hey Steve Our network uses DHCP and yes I did all the ipconfig commands. ... > computer can not find a domain controller or the computer account/secure ... Preferred DNS is checked and being used. ... I would also run the netdiag support tool ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)