Re: Multisite Authentication

"Laura E. Hunter [MVP]" <laurahcomputing.nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23gj6Am9aHHA.4552@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unfortunately what you're seeing is the expected behaviour in 2K3. If a
client cannot authenticate against any DCs in its local site, it will then
choose -any- available DC.

This behaviour may improve somewhat in the next release of Windows Server,
but Longhorn is still in beta so no features are set in stone where that's
concerned.

If you want to exert more granular control over which DCs can "cover"
various sites, you can modify auto site coverage in DNS using Group Policy
or the Windows Registry. You'll find a detailed explanation of this
setting in the 2003 Branch Office Guide, available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9353A4F6-A8A8-40BB-9FA7-3A95C9540112&displaylang=en

In addition to Laura's offered link this one can help also:

How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247811

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
http://www.LearnQuick.Com

  • Re: DC replication from remote site
    ... At site B I have a Windows Server 2008 DC/GC/DNS/DHCP ... Will the 2008 DC just automatically look for another replication partner ... order to control which DCs the KCC creates partner objects with, ... You would create create an IP Subnet Object for the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Switch from mixed to native mode : risks ?
    ... restore actions are within the scope of the domain by restoring all DCs ... # Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services ... Before making the switch have backups of all DCs ... I want to switch my domain to native mode. ...
  • Re: Forgot to run AD PREP!!!
    ... Run AD Prep on another DC, then upgrade to Windows 2003, this way you know ... cannot change it to 2003 until ALL DCs are w2k3 like Dimitri said. ... have you seen my question about other DCs in that domain? ...
  • Netzwerkproblem Windows7 - DC 2003
    ... Clients Windows XP + Windows 2000 ... Ich kann die DCs nicht anpingen. ... Alle anderen PC und Server kann ich problemlos erreichen, mit ping, rdp und vnc. ... Pinge ich vom Client auf Namen der DCs wird der Name korrekt aufgelöst, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windows.server.networking)
  • Re: problem of ntpd on W2K DCs
    ... Guess that those 3 DCs just need some kicks. ... Please nothe that the Windows multimedia timers are not necessarily used ... It does not modify the Windows system time in any way, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)