Re: Field greyed out when account ops try to unlock account

I used to think i was a pretty sharp guy, but now i'm having my doubts. I
did as you suggested and looked up the adminsdholder at google. I've read
several articles describing it's purpose and they make perfect sense, but i
still do not see how it is affecting my situation. I believe it is the
culprit, but don't know why.

Originally i had the help deskers in the account operators group, which was
not working all the time. adminsdholder may have been preventing this.
After i read up on delegation, I removed them from the account operators
group and created a new group called xxx-accops and then delegated
permissions on the OUs.

I found the following article and it mentions the same problems and a
hotfix, once i finish reading it, i may look at that option.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817433

Thanks

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Ok, did you go look up adminsdholder as I mentioned previously?

Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
www.joeware.net

---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

Richard Alexander wrote:
I ran the following command to try and restore inherit permissions at the
ou level and it said successfully completed, but if i go the user object
and look at permissions, they are still not inheriting.

dsacls ou=users,ou=city,ou="dist division",DC=company,DC=local /I:T

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Oh as for the user not having the permissions on it, does the user have
inheritence enabled? If not, it is likely you are feeling the effects of
the adminsdholder functionality which you can google for, tons of
references to that now.

Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
www.joeware.net

---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

Richard Alexander wrote:
i tried running

dsacls cn=enduser,ou=users,ou=city,ou=dist division
but i get an error that system cannot open device or file.

Tried on several different account with same result. I did look at the
advanced features through MMC and can see the security tab. The group
that i created has access at the container(inherited from site level),
but when i look at the security on the the user object it is not there.

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Look at the permissions on the problem account with dsacls, that
should tell the story.

Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
www.joeware.net

---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

Richard Alexander wrote:
I had another instance this morning of this problem. We had an
account that was locked out, but the 2 admins, could not unlock.
Domain admin had to unlock the account. This is in 2003, and the
account was not a member of a restricted account. Any help on this
would be greatly appreciated.

"Richard Alexander" wrote:

Just to clarify. I have 2 admins that are part of the account
aoperators group and occassionally someone will call in with a
locked account. They pull up the account properties and see the
check there, but it is greyed account and they cannot unlock. it is
not one particular userid, and it has happened several times to each
one of them. I have since taken them out of account operators and
tried using delegation with user manage rights to see if that
resolves.

"Joe Richards [MVP]" wrote:

Dump the ACL of the user you can't modify with dsacls and post it

Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
www.joeware.net

---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

Richard Alexander wrote:
No just a regular user account. I thought maybe it was a
replication issue. Domain admins, never have the issue only the
people in account operators group..

"Joe Richards [MVP]" wrote:

Is the account the person trying to unlock also an accop or admin
or something like that? Is the ACL on the object a little
different from what you are used to seeing, say no inherited
ACEs?

Google the term adminSDHolder

Author of O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition
www.joeware.net

---O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition now available---

http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

Richard Alexander wrote:
We are running a Server 2003 single domain structure and we have
2 servers at our corporate locations and 5 remote DCs at remote
locations all with a global catalog. Occasionally one of our
early morning staffers will need to unlock an account, but the
check box will be greyed out. I had them in the account
operators group from our old NT4 domain and read some things
about delegation. I setup a new group and did delegation but
she had the same issue this morning. I thought it might be
something with replication, but we have partial T1s to all the
remotes, so I don't think speed is an issue. Please respond as
I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

  • Re: Field greyed out when account ops try to unlock account
    ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... Richard Alexander wrote: ... After i read up on delegation, I removed them from the account operators group and created a new group called xxx-accops and then delegated permissions on the OUs. ...
  • Re: Field greyed out when account ops try to unlock account
    ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... Richard Alexander wrote: ... After i read up on delegation, I removed them from the account ...
  • Re: Field greyed out when account ops try to unlock account
    ... I ran the following command to try and restore inherit permissions at the ou ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... Tried on several different account with same result. ...
  • Re: Field greyed out when account ops try to unlock account
    ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... Tried on several different account with same result. ...
  • Re: Delegated Permissions
    ... If so google for adminsdholder, ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... and added them to their own group which we then delegated "Create, delete and manage user accounts" at the domain level. ...