Adding local users from domain as local PC admin(?)

WHY
We have a room of PC's dedicated to one task which is used by
researchers here at the Eye institute where I work.

Often, in medical research facilities, there is software which is
brought in for legitimate purposes from different researchers. Its
much less formally managed than say a law firm or something.
I want to delegate the responsibility (on their request) of
administrator of these machines, to the professor/supervisor of these
researchers.

HOW
These machines are XP, joined to a domain. We 'manage' this through AD
console. Its a 2000 server (not really important)
As I suggest in the subject , is there a way to ...add local users from
domain as local PC administrators?

I have attempted to do this by adding the Computer object to a Group I
have created, 'Grading-Machine Admin'.
Then, adding the User object to 'Grading-Machine Admin' group. This
did not work.

I don't really understand what exactly the relationships are between
the objects and resource, groups etc.
From what I can see you normally have a Resource that belongs to a
Group. A User can also belong to that Group. I'm sure its a one to
one, one to -many, many-many type issue that my brain can't comprehend.
... So I'd appreciated any one willing to empart their knowledge!!!
Thanks

  • Unable to access the remote computers...
    ... I have four machines...one is administrator and ... other three are users...All the machines are in WORKGROUPS no other ... After that i have click the local users and groups.. ... remote machines and login as an admin and did the work for reset the ...
  • Access denied problem....
    ... I have four machines...one is administrator ... and other three are users...All the machines are in WORKGROUPS no other ... After that i have click the local users and groups.. ... to the remote machines and login as an admin and did the work for reset ...
  • Re: Is complete home security possible?
    ... >> than an administrator level account, I will an error message on FS98, ... I have a clean disk image made from Norton Ghost, ... >> and I regularly ghost my machines once a month. ... Well, I keep important files on a second hard disk in the NAT Box, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Admin Password change causes problem ?
    ... security of other network attached machines. ... > This is not a Domain, just a group of machines set up as workgroup ... how many had a login with Administrator ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: remote shutdown
    ... Remote computer is on peer network, and I can ping the remote ... Those should work great - if you are a system administrator of the ... Two machines in a workgroup. ...