Re: When to run adprep

It appears that you are prepared on the Microsoft o/s end. I have found the
prep work is always the tough part the actual upgrade to 2003 is pretty
easy.

It would be best if you have the opportunity to promote a new 2003 member
server to a dc as opposed to upgrading an existing dc if that is possible.

"Gregc" <Gregc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
All of my clients are 2000 SP4 or XP SP2. All Member servers are 2000 SP4
or
2003 SP1. My Exchange is Exchange 2003 Enterprise on a 2003 SP1 servers.
have read everything I can and I have checked to ensure that I currently
have
no DC issues. Beleive me, it's not my choice that I have no testbed
systems.
--
Gregc

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

You won't really adversely impact your domain from a busy point of view,
but
boy you are taking a HUGE risk, forcing an upgrade without any research
or
testing prior to the upgrade itself. If you have Exchange then you are
going to run into some additional steps as well.

First you will need to examine which clients you have (Any legacy
clients?)
NT4 or earlier? If so you will have to disable the requirement of smb
signing required if you haven't loaded the AD client.

Patch all your member servers to the latest and greatest sp levels

There is an Exchange issue that deals with mangled attributes, not going
go over since you didn't mention Exchange

Validate there are no DC issues (Run diagnostics)

ADPrep the domain (Infrastructure FSMO master) and forest (Schema FSMO
master)

Then finally promote the dc to 2003

As you can see there is a lot of work here and if you have applications
that
work with AD you could additional steps. I have included a link to drive
you to a Microsoft document for the steps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325379

rights.

"Gregc" <Gregc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have been told by management that I MUST add a Windows 2003 server as
domain controller to my Windows 2000 domain within the next 3 days.
What kind of slow down/problems will I encounter running adprep during
normal business hours? I have a small domain with 2 DC's, 8 member
servers,
and 40 PC's. Any insight into possible problems would be apprceiated.
Thanks in advance.
--
Gregc

.