Re: I'm Stumped...

If you recently updated to 2003 sp1 on one of these member servers try
backing out the sp1. If acl's weren't set right when the sp is applied I
have read where it can create issues.

"Douglas Hiser" <DouglasHiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Tim and Paul,

Thanks for responding. I attempt to access the server via the UNC path.
was trying to run the logon script to remap the network drives after
moving
the data to the new server. On 6 workstations I had no problems but 2 of
them wanted to be difficult. On those two, I went to start>run enter
\\servername then I am prompted for a username and password. Even if I
enter
the domain admin creds, it would keep prompting me. Logging in as the
domain
admin didnt resolve the issue either. The only "thing" I could see is
there
is no OU in AD for either computer. I tried renaming the workstation,
nothing. I then decided to remove it from the domain and rejoin it. Now
receive an Access is Denied error. I googled the error msg and found two
MS
KB articles, 330095
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330095 and 908372
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908372/en-us. 330095 is a little more
involved plus I didnt feel the problem was the account I was using since
it
was the domain admin. 908372 actually allowed me to rejoin the domain and
connect to resources on the network, printers, shared folders. Note
though
that it states it for SMB which my domain is definitely not. However, I
still do not see objects in the Computer container for the two
workstations,
although every seems to be fine. If you have any suggestions as to why
this
is happening, please feel free to post them. Thanks again.

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

You won't damage the profiles if you remove and add a workstation to a
domain. You could normally try the netdom reset password but since it
doesn't sound like there is currently an account for these two machines
it
wouldn't be of any value.

I would just do as you were thinking remove and add one of the
workstations
and see what happens. To be honest I don;t think it is going to work,
since
it can't find the machine name.

Have you searched AD to make sure the account isn't sitting in an OU you
weren't aware of?

rights.

"Douglas Hiser" <DouglasHiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
In the process of migrating from windows 2000 to 2003 and noticed a
little
problem. Two workstations cant access the new server, even if I log in
with
the domain admin account. They are receiving an IP, I can PING other
computers/servers on the domain and can PING the workstations in
question
from other computers/servers. I can resolve the hostname and reverse
lookup
with no problems. The one problem I did notice is in AD under the
Computers
OU, the two workstations in question are not listed and I can not
create a
new object for them, I get an error that the pre-windows name is
already
in
use. I tried renaming on of the computers, rebooted DNS and DHCP
records
change but still no OU in AD. My next step is to rejoin the computers
the
domain, but I wanted to see if there is another way, as I hate messing
with
profiles. Can you help me? Thanks

.