Re: Adding Groups as members of Groups ???

From: Chriss3 [MVP] (noSpamHere_at_chrisse.se)
Date: 10/27/04

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:01:00 +0200

You can use universal groups in mixed mode as well but to a limited scope of
distubrution groups, not security groups.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson
> "Optikal" <Optikal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> ok, that does indeed work.  However, I wish to create a hierarchy of
>> groups.
>> I can add global groups into local groups, but what if I want to create
>> another layer of groups which will be members of the global groups, and
>> on
>>
>> and on for potentially many layers?  Does AD support this type of
>> hierarchy
>> using groups?
>>

> Hello Optikal,
>
> You can nest global groups into other global groups if you are at least
> Windows 2000 native mode in your active directory.
>
> And you are able to use universal groups as well when you are in native
> mode.
>

> --
> Gruesse - Sincerely,
>
> Ulf B. Simon-Weidner
>
>  MVP-Book "Windows XP - Die Expertentipps":  http://tinyurl.com/44zcz
>  Weblog: http://msmvps.org/UlfBSimonWeidner
>  WebSite: http://www.windowsserverfaq.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Nesting Groups Query
    ... sense to use universal groups sparingly and keep in mind that they require use of the ... add domain users to domain global groups. ... active directory. ... and granted them access to certain directories on the NAS. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Child domain cannot send to parent global security group
    ... child domain to have security access to resources, but want them to be part ... The domain local scope can contain user accounts, universal groups, and ... global groups from any domain. ... Global security groups are most often used to organize users who share ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Child domain cannot send to parent global security group
    ... You can assign these permissions only in the same ... The domain local scope can contain user accounts, universal groups, and ... global groups from any domain. ... assign permissions for access to resources in any domain. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Child Domain access
    ... Group Scope ... -- Domain Local groups can contain members from ANY domain but can only be ... -- Global groups can only contain members from their OWN domain but can be ... domain and can be a member of domain local or universal groups in any ...
  • Re: Adding domain user to local group
    ... What I have is a server that is not a member of ... Pemission NTFS ... Put Accounts in a Global groups of your domain. ... Global groups in a Universal groups in your forest. ...