Re: Windows 2003 DCPROMO Problem

From: Mark Renoden [MSFT] (markreno_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/28/04

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:31:58 +1000

Hi Nejmos

I was under the impression that you have existing Windows 2000 Domain
Controllers and you want to add a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller.
The forestprep and domainprep were successful. You're now having trouble
running DCPromo on a 2003 member server. Is this correct?

If it is correct, remove from the domain (move to workgroup), delete the
computer account, allow the deletion to replicate to other Domain
Controllers and then try the dcpromo again.

If I don't understand the situation correctly, please explain in more
detail.

Kind regards

--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team
"Nejmos Saqeb" <research@pk.netsolir.com> wrote in message
> no man, i just want to migrate my win2000 AD to win2003 AD. Kindly tell me
> the exact steps for it.
>
> thanks
> Nejmos Saqeb
>
> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Nejmos
>>
>> What's the history with this 2003 server?  Is it new to the domain?  Has
> any
>> other computer (or Windows installation) used this computer name in the
>> past?
>>
>> Suggestion would be to move the 2003 server to a workgroup, delete the
>> computer account from the domain, allow for replication of this deletion
>> all DC's and then try a DCPromo again.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>>
>> "Nejmos Saqeb" <research@pk.netsolir.com> wrote in message
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I've a Windows 2000 Forest, I ran Adprep /forestprep which ended
>> > successfully, then I ran Adprep /domainprep which too ended
> successfully.
>> > Afterwards, I used "dcpromo" on the Windows server 2003 STD which
> yielded
>> > the following after some operations:-
>> >
>> > The Active Directory Installation Wizard was unable to convert the
>> > computer
>> > account RSWG$ to a domain controller account.
>> >
>> > "Access is denied."
>> >
>> > However, the Administrator is a member of :
>> >
>> > 1.  Administrators
>> > 2.  Domain Admins
>> > 3.  Domain Controllers
>> > 4.  Domain Users
>> > 5.  Enterprise Admins
>> > 6.  Group Policy Creator Owners
>> > 7.  Replicator
>> > 8.  Schema Admins
>> > 9.  Server Operators
>> >
>> > What could be the mistake I am doing? Kindly help.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Nejmos Saqeb

Relevant Pages

  • Site-tosite VPN Issue
    ... Windows Server 2003 domain controller ... Mixture of PCs running Windows 2000 Profressional with SP3 and Windows XP ... the VPN to the Windows Server 2003 domain controller. ... 12.7MB file from the server to the client PC. ...
  • RE: Internet Connection Wizard failing at Firewall Config and Secu
    ... You can use the Dcdiag.exe (Domain Controller Diagnostic Tool) included ... in Windows Support Tools to verify the AD status. ... Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Diagnostics, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Provide feedback to DC promotion/replacement
    ... one of the is reffering to a Windows 2000 ... As i sad in the previous posts, to rename a domain controller ... controllers in the domain must be running Windows Server 2003. ... a global catalog. ...
  • Re: Pre-authentication failed for Windows 2008 systems
    ... Failure Code: 0x19 ... Client Address: SERVER IP ... Our active directory domain consists of two windows 2003 R2 x64 ... On the domain controller, ...
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #154
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... ISS RealSecure Server Sensor SSL Denial Of Service Vulnerabi... ... Roger Wilco Remote Server Side Buffer Overrun Vulnerability ... available for Microsoft Windows operating systems. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)