Re: Auto Recording, AC power VS. Battery

My guess is that your laptop is not really "off" when plugged into AC, Media
Center can not turn the PC on if is not even running. It is more likely that
your laptop is set to standby or hibernate when on AC power; in one of those
states, it can wakeup and record. Check your power settings and see if
setting are the same for battery and plugged in.

The problem with having your laptop standby or hibernate while on battery is
that the battery won't last for ever in one of those suspended states. So
the battery might die completely, then it won't record or is may wake up,
start recording, and lose power part way through the show.
--
James
Orlando, FL

"Justin" <Justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I've got a laptop installed with windows media centre edition 2005.
I've noticed that when you've scheduled a recording in Media Centre, when
the program is about to start and the laptop is not turned on, the laptop
turns on automatically and Media Centre starts recording. This only
happens
when the laptop is on AC power. The computer does not turn on
automatically
if the laptop is not recharging.

Is there a setting that you can change so that the laptop turns on
automatically when it's not running on AC power?

  • Re: And I Was A NASA Engineer?
    ... I must start my music recording again and instead of using the good ... recording console, I took the new laptop to the studio, ... hooked up the Behringer amp/mixer like I had in here with the desk top ... Proper connections are to be confirmed BEFORE power is applied. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Power supply wisdom
    ... which will come out just above the 317's dropout voltage. ... even with a variety of power plugs. ... If they are in a laptop supply your client can just send out a new ... A good switcher will current limit. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks....
    ... jack dilemma. ... I purchased a HP laptop to keep all HP software off my other systems. ... power jack and are not HP laptops. ... Like many others I assumed the battery had failed ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hardware)
  • Re: class action lawsuit against toshiba? - no purposeful deception.
    ... If a product is constructed in such a way as to fail under normal use, the UCC implied warranty may extend beyond any warranty limit the manufacturer wrote into the agreement. ... If Toshiba sold a million units with the power connector attached to the motherboard causing each end user and expense of two hundred dollars in five percent of those sales, the damage to the public is rather significant, no? ... The cause of the problem is either poor workmanship or excessive mechanical stress that caused the solder joint to fail (such as someone tripping over the wire from the AC adapter to the laptop while the laptop was plugged in, or someone tilting the laptop up putting the entire weight of the laptop on the power plug sticking out of the back of the machine). ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Mac Energy Saver Settings
    ... machine sleeps....but I know power is being saved thereby, ... Mac there are many simple options available to reduce the overall cost ... laptop, you'll have a couple options available. ... Put the displayto sleep when inactive for... ...
    (soc.retirement)