Re: Windows XP MCE and Networks

Does the network use a domain or a workgroup? Workgroups are no problem -
just make sure the workgroup name is set to the same on both ends. As for
domains, that's generally disabled in MCE but can be reenabled with a hack.
There's a link on the FAQ page at www.MediaCenterStuff.com or you can search
at www.TheGreenButton.com.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Lost in Chengdu" <Lost in Chengdu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:C645C97E-BBEA-4A10-8B73-952572FC341D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am a consultant working in China with a 2005 MCE laptop. I cannot get it
to connect to a small office XP network. The IT guy says that the server
cannot see it and when he pings the server, he can't see the server. He
says
that it must be because it is a MCE computer. I don't believe him. Any
suggestions?

  • Re: Problem getting a new XP computer to join an NT 4.0/Win 98 domain
    ... > the computers and the file server with the goal of getting ... > If you scan Network Neighborhood for the Entire Network after ... > booting, there are 3 workgroups: ... > machines to see and map to shares on the NT file server. ...
  • Re: Problem getting a new XP computer to join an NT 4.0/Win 98 domain
    ... > the computers and the file server with the goal of getting ... > If you scan Network Neighborhood for the Entire Network after ... > booting, there are 3 workgroups: ... > machines to see and map to shares on the NT file server. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Network Connection Problem - Intermittent
    ... Master browser name is: SERVER ... This may occur if the workgroup name and the domain name are the different. ... Starting Computer Browser Service on one of w2k/xp computers should fix the problem. ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...
  • Re: SBS 2003 Shutdown Automatically?
    ... I am by no means a domain/server whizz but I have set up SBS 2003 for 5 of my clients and they all think I'm a genius! ... workgroup network to an SBS domain network. ... If you wanted workgroup then perhaps plain Windows 2003 Server would have been a better choice. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Problem getting a new XP computer to join an NT 4.0/Win 98 domain
    ... the computers and the file server with the goal of getting ... If you scan Network Neighborhood for the Entire Network after ... "Workgroup" and all the computers and shares in them. ...