Re: Xbox 360 does not see Media Center PC - AGAIN

I'm not attempting to step on what Todd's doing, but I see no mention
anywhere (could have missed it) about what anti virus software or
third-party firewall you may be running on that PC. If you've got anything
Norton (Symantec) or McAfee or something like ZoneAlarm on there, I would
uninstall it and begin the setup process again. They will interfere. Also,
if you're running Windows Firewall "sometimes" - very unusual, but it
happens - there are some settings you would need to apply as described in
this Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911728/en-us
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Mike" <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Chris,

Thanks - tried all of the options, no go. Pretty much everything was
fine.

Also as to MCRD group - it is there, it is just there are no users in the
group. Perhaps (seeing I had a user in it MCX1 when it was working) the
reason it does not now is becuase the Xbox can not see the PC? Or should
there be a user there as part of the install of WMC or MCE regarless of
wether it has connected or not?

Just trying to figure out what the issue could be and checking all
options.
It seems based on Todd's mail, that I maybe should have somethingdifferent
in
my extender devices registry? Who knows, I just know that it can not be a
network issue (I get Xbox live and it sees my PC name etc on the Xbox), it
can not be a firewall, I have all the ports open and have tried even
disabling the thing totally - and have no other, not a firmware issue have
the most recent and the Router even had an Xbox 360 logo on it, not a
services issue - all running.

In all of the installs/reinstalls of MCE or WMC they never have completed
(since it has not worked) i.e. finshed install becuase it can not find
xbox
after the 8 digit code is entered. When it was working for a couple of
days,
even then it did not seem to complete the install, but did connect to the
Xbox. And even last install WMC had the Xbox as a device (though nothing
was
working) now it does not even have it listed as a dvice to enter.. it;s
like
I keep going further back.

It's sad becuase I love the games, but the main reason I bought an Xbox
was
to be able to stream my albums, videos and music - i dont need it as a DVR
though becuase I have tivo - but a bummer non the less.

Any other ideas?

"Chris H." wrote:

Mike, see if this Knowledge Base article will help your situation (or
maybe
revisit it): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911123/en-us?sd=xbox You
may
also be able to add the MCRD Group by right-clicking My Computer,
selecting
Manage; then expanding Local Users and Groups; followed by right-clicking
Group, then select New Group.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Mike" <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
One more thing to add to the below message. I am still trying to
figure
this
out and I just went to Admin tools and looked at the groups and the
users.
Something seems wrong here as while i do have a MCRD Group - there are
no
users in it. It seems when I was working there for a bit it had a MCX1
user
in it and MCX1 also was a user - it is now not anywhere??

I fear that all of the reinstalls in an attempt to get this going is an
issue. While I can still have access to add/delete "Media Center
Extender"
via add/remove new programs, I do not have a listing for 'Windows Media
Connect" as it does not show up - though it is a program.

Also as a further follow up to the last message, perhaps I would have
not
needed Windows Media Connect. if when i first went to the Install on
the
Xbox
it would have seen it. But on the Xbox after you get "go to
microsoft.co/extender" - then download and the program can;'t find when
run
on PC - you hit continue on the Xbox and it says "step 2 - now go to
Xbox/pcsetup" or some such.

Seems to me that ms.com/extender is the extender program and
xbox/pcsetup
is
the WMC program. Perhpas I do not need both but becuase the Xbox did
not
"see the PC" when the first was tried it is why it told me to go to the
second download.

FYI the two files seem to be almost exactly the same. One has finishes
in
EDU and one EDU-1.exe. Both are 20.6 megs. And both install interfaces
seem
to look the same.

I had cleared/delted the logs prior to this last attempt to install and
when
I reviewed them after they show mostly like it was all good "install
successful" with the expcetion that you can see lines related to "can
not
find xbox or extender device" type thing.

Still trying. I just wish there was a way to totally blow out (i.e.
uninstall) WMC, as likely the folders and the couple reg things I found
were
not enough.

Thanks

"Mike" wrote:

Hi Todd,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

First, I do have a Media Center PC. My Media Center on the PC
functions
fine. I do not have any firewall aside from Windows. I have checked
multiple time to insure the ports are open (they always were) but I
had
also
event tried with Windows firwall diabled, same story.

Ok, now here though is were I am a little confused by yuour message.
do
understand that folks that DO NOT have a Media Center PC can use the
extender
functionality of Xbox via Media Center Connect by clikcing on the
Pictures or
Music functions of the MEDIA Blade of Xbox (byu the way when Itry to
access
the PC that way, as I have tried, same story can not find PC). For
people
like myself though, we hit the "Media Center" button on the Media
Blade
of
Xbox and it (originally and everyttime I delete and retry) comes back
with a
messagr that to connect your mMedia Center PC to Xbox, go to
Xbox,com/setup
(or some such). You do so, and it downloads Windows Media Connect.
You
run
it on your PC and it comes to a point where it wants the 8 digit code,
get
it from Xbox enter it, and At this time, Windows Media Connect install
come
sback with can not find Xbox - but... after 3 attempts to find it it
ends.
BUT then I see new programs installed and there is Windows Media
Connect
(along with resource manager running in the lower taskbar). I hit it
start, it says Xbox is a device and seems to start, and run fine.
Even
has
the Xbox properties as far as serial number etc.

Now, having said this, at one point all was working. I had the same
issue
(or close) with the Media Center Connect install program but... it
would
at
least get the Xbox/Tv to go to the black screen acting like it was
going
start - and then it was working for 2 days - EVEN THOUGH WHEN YOU
WOULD
DO
THE MEDIA CENTER "TEST CONNECTION" test, it would fail on the PC?!
This
morning, boom same back to the same rub. So I go back, check
everything,
nothing has changed, etc. So I try to uninstall Media Center Connect
and
(basically the message I write below). So.... I got no clue.

Incidentally, as of pulling this message, I have manually tried to
delete
WC
so the registry info here is post having deleted the WC diretory and
the
two
registry folders that were titled WC (probally makes no difference on
the
folder info shown here, just wanted to clarify. Ihad did this becuase
was
going to try another WC install.

One last question before posting that reg folder, how could I access
the
Xbox without WC even if I have a Media Center PC? Becuase it seems
from
what
I understand even though people w/o one can use the Xbox as an
extender,
but
people with a Media cetner PC still need it - or at least download the
program to download? If not I don't get whay the Xbox when first
trying
(Via
the Media Center button on the blade - not the others) tells you to
download
WC? Again, thanks for your help.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaCenterPeripheral\DeviceTable]
"HostID"="{A2A90C80-F549-4E08-B945-452116ADDA07}"
"DefaultPCDiscnActn"=dword:00000004
"TotalSessions"=dword:00000005
"InOOBE"=dword:00000000
"DevDiscBalloon"=dword:00000000

"Todd Bowra [MSFT]" wrote:

Starting with a quick clarification - Media Center Extender and
Windows
Media Connect are two distinct pieces of software. The former
allows
full
use of the Media Center interface on the Xbox 360 (note: this
requires
a PC
with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005) while the latter is used
stream music and pictures from a Windows XP PC to the Xbox 360 (does
not
require a Media Center PC). You do not need to have Windows Media
Connect
set up in order to use the Media Center Extender (MCX) functionality
in
Xbox
360.

Also, I have a few questions:
- Are you running any third-party firewall, anti-virus, intrusion
detection,
or privacy software on your Media Center PC?
- On your PC, open regedit (Start --> Run, "regedit", <enter>) and
navigate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaCenterPeripheral\DeviceTable;
are there any entries under DeviceTable? (they'd look something
like
"00000000-0000-0000-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx" where the x's are lots of
letters
and
numbers)
- If you connect your Xbox directly to your PC using an Ethernet
cable
(no
router/switch in between) and try to add your Xbox 360 by typing in
the
8-digit code, what happens?

rights.

"Mike" <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Talk about frustration.... here I am again (mostly becuase it
seems
this
seems to be the best source for help I can find, as it sure is not
Xbox
support as I am - by now - much more versed in the issues than
they).

What Has happened

Xbox does not recognize PC. I had it woking for a few days but
now
it is
not again. Nothing has changed.

Situation

PC sees Xbox via Media Connect, shows up and enabled. Xbox sees
Network,
connects to live, when run "Test Media" is has all except for
"computer"
fails.

What I Have

Xbox 360
PC running Media Center 2005 with Rollup 2 and all latest.
Linksys WRT55AG with latest firmware (Xbox on A channel)

What I have checked/done to confirm all is fine

1. All ports required for Media Connect are open - in fact
disabled
Windows
firewall just in case to check also
2. All Services required are started and automatic (for those
with
similar
issues to mine be sure you check Fast User Switching and
Workstation
are
running - along with ports this seems to fix most).
3. Looked at logs, security, Media Center etc. nothing jumps
out.
Some
DOMC (or something like that as a warning but that seems to be a
temp
memory
thing.
4. Confirmed Router Firmware
5. Recycled several times (i.e. shut everything down and go
through
again.
6. Uninstalled and reinstalled Media Connect - this last time
this
was an
issue and while it may have added to the problem it was not the
problem.
The
potentail add is that when I went to delete Media Connect from the
add/delete
folder this last time it just went away (versus going through an
uninstall,
Of course the directory and presumabaly everything else related
was
still
there. So manually deleted the directory (no registries or
anything)
and
attempted to reinstall. Disabled the "this pc is connected to a
media
center
pc" in Xbox so that I could get another 8 digit code for the
reinstall
(otherwise you will not). Went through the new Media Connect
install
and
right after it took the 8 digit code it says "Can not find Xbox -
and
you
end
up getting botted out of the install after 3 attempts. YET, the
Media
Connect is a program which you can start and says Xbox is a device
that is
connected! AND the Xbox still connects to live, still shows
proper
network
info etc.
7. Lastly if this helps. When I run the "test Media Connection"
on
Xbox
and it fails on 'Computer' the get more info codes it gives are
(if
this
means anything to anyone

W: 0000-0021
X: 0000-F001
Y: 0000-0000
Z: 8016-0584

-------------------------------------

Man-0man I am I frustrated. To me, there has to be something
perhaps
with
the Xbox or the Media Connect Program. Which, by the way, seems I
should
not
even need to have. For those with a Media Center PC. seems you
should be
able to connect via that application, why do we need Media Connect
just
like
the folks that do not have a Media PC - the Extender software
should
be
built
in there to me (but that is aside from the point I guess).

Anyway, is there anybody out there that can help? Somebody that
partisipated on the MC software dev? Any other ideas? Or any
sources to
contact aside from Xbox that might be able to help - as I am not
up
for
more
hours of someone reading from the same support pages I can read
who
will
have
me wasting time rebooting and post changing and then tell me to
try

  • Re: Xbox 360 does not see Media Center PC - AGAIN
    ... Nope no third party firewall, only Windows, have multiple times confirmed ... reason it does not now is becuase the Xbox can not see the PC? ... i.e. finshed install becuase it can not find ... While I can still have access to add/delete "Media Center ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Xbox 360 does not see Media Center PC - AGAIN
    ... Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC ... Looked at logs, security, Media Center etc. nothing jumps out. ... up getting botted out of the install after 3 attempts. ... Connect is a program which you can start and says Xbox is a device that is ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: BigApache for Windows - Why doesnt BSD have an installer package like this ???
    ... which is exactly why every CD-ROM I've put in Windows 2000 installations ... I consider autorunning of removable media a security risk. ... is help you install amd, the automounter daemon and let us all live in peace:P ... The principal location for system configuration information is ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: update rollup refuses to unstall on my pc {?}
    ... The .log file was saved when I tried to install a rollup update I downloaded ... Windows update saves non such log files on my computer. ... Media Center Ident Set part of the page. ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Media Center ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Windows XP Pro Network ID Tab Grayed out
    ... Did Clean Install, Didn't install Recovery Console. ... Use Windows XP PRO CD, Because with Toshiba The CD is all IMAGES made by ... Microsoft that I can install and Create an instance of Microsoft Media Center ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)