Re: Black Border on Screen

I have made no changes that I know of. Here is what I have done.

Uninstalled samsung monitor
Installed hp monitor
Uninstalled hp monitor
Reinstalled samsung (to see if borders were there)
Uninstalled samsung
Reinstalled HP
I've also run the set up wizard in MC several times.

My video card is ATI, not sure I should use nvidia decoders.
"JW" <nospam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have reread your posts I see that I missed some things
When you first installed the 19" did you also make any changes to your DVD
Decoder?
In any case I suggest that you download and try the free 30 day trial of
the NVIDIA DVD Decoder and use only the default settings except possibly
changing the de-interlacing control mode to Automatic" if it defaults to
"Smart".

"JW" <nospam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
So you are back to 1280x1024 as the desktop and output resolution and
regardless of which monitor you have connected on the end of the VGA
cable you have black bars on the top and the bottom only when watching
video with MCE in full screen mode and not with PC desktop applications.
If you use Media Player to watch DVDs or a recoreded TV program do you
also have the black bars?
I assume that you are not using any 3rd party software such a Powerstrip
when watching videos, is this assumption valid?

"Euell" <Euell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I would agree with you except that I have uninstalled the new HP monitor
and
reinstalled my Samsung and it is doing the same thing.

"JW" wrote:

I agree that you should not be using a lower resolution but when you
did it
showed that your display could handle it so I think you may have a
defective
monitor. I suggest you take it back to the store where you got it and
make
them show you that it can sproperly display 1240X1024 @60Hs video or
give
you a replacment that can.

"Euell" <Euell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Video card ati x300se (HP) does not have DVI connection. If I use a
lower
resouution like 1280 X 960 he whole screen is filled but the picture
is
not
as good. Both HP and Sumsung reccommend 1280x 1024.

"JW" wrote:

Very strange indeed since you are making absolutly no changes on the
PC
or
with the cable when switching monitors. I assume that if your
graphics
card
has DVI output that you also have tried that with the new monitor.
I suggest trying a lower resolution on the new monitor such as
1024x768
just
to see if it provides the same verticle image size for both video
and PC
applications.

"Euell" <Euell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Both monitors are 1280x1024 @60hz using vga interface.

"JW" wrote:

Are you using the same interface to the new monitor as you used
with
the
old, for example VGA and VGA?
Are you using 1240x1024@60Hz with both monitors?
Is there anything in the manual for your new monitor that might
give a
clue
to the strange behavior?

"Euell L. Price" <eprice1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm not sure what you mean by version. If I press "more" on the
remote
control, I get no "zoom" option. I've read in the MC help that
zoom
is
not
available when aspect ratio is 4:3. I know I did not have this
problem
before, I'm just not sure when it started. I did a system
restore to
time before I installed the new monitor but that didn't help.
I'm
stumped.
"Shirley" <Shirley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On th version of Media Center running you can clik on the
"more"
button
and
choose "zoom", thesecond size shown gives you full screen
permanently.

"Euell L. Price" wrote:

I've had a mediacenter pc for about a year now and have been
able
watch
full screen tv on my Samsung 730b 17" monitor at 1280x1024
resolution
with
no problems and no border at the bottom or the top of the
screen.
DVD's
also
played full screen if formatted 4:3. I just purchased a 19"
hp
f1905
monitor
because I wanted a larger screen. It too has 1280x1024 native
resolution.
However, now I have a black border about 1/2" wide at the top
and
the
bottom
of the display screen when I watch tv and DVD's also now
display
the
borders. Desktop and games still display full screen.I
uninstalled
the
HP
and reinstalled my Samsung and it now displays the borders.
I've
run
the
Media Center display wizard, searchd the Hp, ATI, and
Microsoft
websites
and
run searches on Google but I can't find a solution. Can
someone
help?

.